Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sili Skin Sheet

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
Here is what this stuff looks like. One package has two strips in it that look like this.. it has a sort of color pattern that changes with the angle of the light. You have to Peel it off from a backing..be careful not to streach it..just peel slowly.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It's been around for a while on the west coast; I used to use it for shell backing on prawn flies but came up with a way to use translucent dubbing instead and that fly starting catching steelhead very well so never continued with the plastic sheet approach. It was used to wrap over bright floss for the latern (?) pattern as well, using tea colored sheets. I didn't like using wire to segment the shrimp tails but the approach of using glues to hold it in place seems to work real well looking at Striblues eel.

John-

How soft is the stuff? Does it wiggle like jelly?

#5 ·
Yes it does.. Sean , I can send you out a sheet... I heard that there is a web site for "loco foam".I confused but the stuff is ok..it is just the eel looks like a sluggo... I think there would be other applications more in line with tying as oppose to building. I will focus on shrimp carapaces instead of the use of plastic bags. I did not like the way it came out on the crab apple..the crab seemed to lose it's realistic appearance and looked like a ball of flat platic since I had to cover bothe the top and bottom to get the two sides to touch and seal..it would not just seal on top of the carapace.

#6 ·
John, thanks... if it wiggles like jelly the stuff I have is some other kind of skin, I'll dig it out and see what the name is. It's soft, pliable but will not wiggle like jelly.

Sounds interesting though. John, your flies are going to be a show in and of themselves at the booth! ;)

#8 ·
I'm wondering if this material is similar to Stalcup's Flashback; I've ordered some, waiting for it to arrive, for tying some ultra-realistic mantis shrimp patterns I've been working on. The description for the Flashback is "dyed pearlescent sheets", but no other detail is provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.