Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sili Skin question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GregD 
#1 ·
I realize that Sili Skin is a nice new addition to our arsenal of tying materials. Albeit it is a rather expensive one and I wonder if Sili Skin is made especially made for flyfishing (rather unlikely) or if it is a by-product as so many tying materials that in the first place are made for something else (e.g. like krystalflash etc. is used for carnveval whigs etc.).

I am asking this because I have sort of a rubber-latex-band aid that works exactly the same as Sili-Skin. Unfortunately it is a natural latex colour without the appeal of the flytying Sili-Skin.

Any ideas or sources where the stuff comes from and what it is?

#2 · (Edited)
I imagine that sheets for large adhesive label, poster or sign stock from art supply places would be a great start. Material that doesn't disolve or soften to much when soaked in liquids would be nice, basically stay away from paper based sheets. I haven't been to a large supply place lately But with the web you might find it online without to much effort. I may go that route when I use up my sili skin sheets as well.

Best Regards,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.