Fly Fishing Forum banner

Overlining Temple Forks?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Salvy 
#1 ·
Has anyone thrown a 10wt line on a 9wt TF rod?

#2 ·
Mark

If you can get to the casting clave you can try my TFO 9wt if you bring a 10wt line. I used to use a 10wt Striper line on my 9wt loomis IMX and it worked fine. I'm sure the rod will take it (most rods will handle a range of line weights) but not sure how it would feel.

I have a suspicion that if you were to take the same weight / profile line (e.g. 9wt WF Floater) from all the different manufacturers and compare the weights of the regulation measurement, you would find an interesting range of grain weights. I would also bet that the average diameter of the lines would vary greatly too, which will also make a big difference in how they feel when cast.

Maybe someone has already done this? It would make an interesting article :devil:

#3 ·
I have the TFO 9' 9wt 4pc for almost three years now and have fished it with a 9, 10 and 11 wt line at any given time and situation. If I had to pick only one the 10 wt casts the best. With a close second to the 11 wt, it just overloads a bit. It can handle it without a problem without major adjustments to your casting technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.