Fly Fishing Forum banner

Overlining .vs. Underling

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jay C. 
#1 ·
The reason I ask is I have a RPLXi 9x9 and want to buy an intermediate line this year. All last year I tossed a QD325 no problem. But my concern is that I'm not a great caster and fear I'll lose considerable distance throwing a 9wt intermediate line on a fast rod. Should I go up to a 10wt? Some people say underlining works better for them. HELP!

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Sean- The QD325 is set up like a shooting head. If you can try a full 9wt intermediate vs. a shooting head type intermediate(Cortland XRL or Scianglers Striper line). The longer head of the full line should load the rod fine whereas the other lines don't give you enough weight to load the rod before you're into the running line. rel

#3 ·
Sean, let me try this again... When I first got the fast T&T's, it made sense to overline it to get used to the very fast action. I used a 10 wt intermediate on a 9 wt rod for a while, but soon found I could cast further and easier with a 9 wt line. Only exception was fishing very large flies, where the 10 wt helped get them out further. For a while I used the 10 wt at night, but eventually stopped bothering to change spools.
I just stumbled into a happy underlined setup, but wouldn't think of underlining my 9 weight. The place I fish is very craggy and big bass know all too well how to wrap you around rocks. I've been looking for the heaviest line/rod combo I could 'comfortably' throw, i.e. fish without a sore arm for two hours, which is how long it takes me to fish the place. Throwing big flies is a plus.
I find I just can't use a 12 wt rod/line here, and was very pleased to find that an 11 wt line works well and is much easier to throw. It it plenty heavy to get out the big flies, and the 12 wt rod gives you plenty of lift after a strike. Also, an underlined rod allows you to false-cast more line without 'caving in'. I find I can false cast 60' of line with this without heroics. This is a pretty specialized setup and I'm not really advocating it for all-purpose bass fishing. It's just plain too heavy for general purpose surf/beach fishing. Don't get carried away with this 'recommendation' as it is for a very specific fishing situation.

On the other hand, I do so hope it'll work out for tuna. The ability to get out a fly 80+' with a 12 wt stick has all sorts of possibilitiues...

#4 ·
Reading of Josko's experiments and recommendations gets me crazy for late spring and the onslaught of big gamefish into our waters!

As he and others have indicated, there is flexibility both ways depending on the fishing situation. I fish the 325 QD and the 444 clear intermediate in 9wt on the exact same rod and love it. Another awesome int. line for that rod is the Rio Striper line.

Feel free to borrow my Lamson LP w/ 444 9wt clear and/or the Rio if you'd like to try before you buy. I suspect you'll have a chance to try all kinds of gear at Terry's spring get-together. It's a good objective for the first trip, no? Don't buy until after the early May shindig!

#5 ·
Juro said:

>Terry's spring get-together

Hmmm..I like the sound of that. I have the opposite problem. I just got the QD325 (and a new 9x9) and haven't tossed it yet while I've been fishing the 444 Intermidiate for years. I guess I overlined but don't like it really. GLad to be changing. It should be noted that the 325 is a WEIGHTED shooting head. So they probably do fly better than the average INT. line. Sully, you got nothing to worry about with your casting. You were belting them outa Brian C.s boat last summer just fine. But with the caliber of jokers we will be fishing with tis year, we'll both get the help we need to tweek our casts.

Terry

#6 ·
Guy's Thanks All,

Josko, sorry for the redundancy of my post. But it's worth it as I value your input.

Ron, same goes for your response. Always on the money.

Juro, good point to wait until May. I won't need the line tomorrow. I was at BN and checking out the new Cortland Camo INT. line. It looks nice do you have any opinion of that .vs. the clear?

Terry, thanks for the compliment. You'll love that QD325!
Especially the first albie.
And count me in for the clave. I NEED to fish bad.

G
#7 ·
I've been pretty happy with the 9wt Clear Intermediate Mastery Striper line on my 990-3 RPLX. The only hassle is that it needs to be stretched straight when it's cold, or has been on the spool for a while, but i think this might help it to shoot a little better. It's also done double-duty as a bonefish line where, along with being clear, the stiffness was a bonus in the heat. BTW, i have a 10wt floating line and a 10wt type6 uniform sink for big flies, and the 990 RPLX can handle a lot of line with both of them.

Bill

#8 ·
I think clear line technology is evolving. The 444 clear holds a nail knot and I've never had to stretch it (although I can't say it didn't need it once or twice for the first few casts!).

The Monic lines are now freezer-proof, as Bob Goodale told me "put it in the freezer" and so I did. It was still supple when I took it out. The line sample we will be testing in SWFF size is not clear, but I have complete confidence that it will take coldwater use without coiling. We'll give it heck.

I also like the Rio striper lines, although they are not clear they are very stealthy and cast long lengths well.

Many folks cast the 325 grain on a 9wt, which is WAY overlined for the recommended grain weight. Casts well though, provided the running line out of the guides is kept to a minimum while false casting.

Bill got me hooked on the full sink uniform sink lines. They are great for long false casters (like me). Although they are not as easy to throw moderate distances as the QD series 444 lines (T-300, etc) they do allow for aerializing long casts.

I think the best recipe is whatever makes the rod's flex/reflex power work for you according to your casting style and fly size.

#9 ·
Terry,

I use a Sage 9/9 and I have it overlined with an intermediate 10 wt. I fish the surf on the north-side cape creeks and flats and the wind is always a factor to be reckoned with. The rod is not a RPLxi, it is the forerunner of that model, but I find it works real well for shore work, particularly for the larger deceivers and like flies. I'll have it with me for the 'clave.

Jay C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.