Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sili Skin Shrimp

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
Gave it a shot... looks nice..two photo's..one from the side and one from the top.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice Tie

John, are you simply using hackle tips for the legs? I have been experimenting with shrimp patterns this winter but am having difficulty finding a compromise between the slim profile of this type of pattrn, and enough weight to get the fly down before it drifts over the fish's head. Working on something similar to McQuades "the thing". Will post a pic when I am satisfied with the outcome.

Keep 'em coming!

Dave

#5 ·
Dave..what I am doing is taking hackle tips... Ginger Indian neck..holding the very tip..as far as I can... then with my other finger.. I slid the finger down and open or splay the hackle points all along the sides.... then with them splayed out..I cut them off ,leaving about 1/8 inch on... so that the shank looks like it has little hairs along the shank or stalk of the hackle. Try to look closley at the hackles coming out of the mouth too... I think you can see them.

#6 ·
Johnny Scissorhandz...

I take it plastic bags have gone south in favour of the silliskin?!
But what flys are you going to fish with???
Everything I've seen you tye lately is too pretty to actually fish with...
You probably won't be fishing anyway...what with the book signings and lecture circuit!
Can you say
FAMOUS!!! :chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.