Fly Fishing Forum banner

Book Review: Fly Rodding Estuaries

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Stevo 
#1 ·
Picked up this great book by Ed Mitchell a few weeks ago and have just finished it. This is one of the most informative books on fishing the estuarine ecosystem and various subsets thereof that I've come across. A great deal of time is spent in each section discussing the best times to fish with regards to tide, time of day, season, etc., enough to save someone some serious time out on the water waiting for the fish to show up. Considerations are given to prevalent game fish and forage, as well as some information on fly patterns and equipment. In short, this book was well worth the $15 I paid for it. I liked it so much that I've just received another of Mitchell's books, Fly Fishing the Saltwater Shoreline ($23); a preliminary look indiactes that it's as informative as Estuaries. Mitchell has another book, Fly Rodding the Coast , that's available for roughly $14. For those of us in the Northeast, where Mitchell makes his home, these books are a great value.

#2 ·
I'll be getting that book for Xmas. Ed Mithchell writes well , try and attend one of his talks at the fishing shows. He's a little dry but his talks are filled with valueable information. What I like about Ed is he's not a media star and full of himself as are others in this business.
FishHawk:D

#3 ·
I picked up the book you just finished about a month ago, but haven't had a chance to start it.....just by the photos alone, I know that I'm in for a treat.

I've read his other two books and can say that they are excellent. It's the reason that I picked up the third one.

Thanks for the review. :)

#8 ·
I still think Mitchell's "Flyrodding The Coast" is the best I've seen of the genre. A must have for those new to saltwater flyfishing (or saltwater fishing in general) in the northeast.

I may have to get my hooks on that copy at the Den.

#10 ·
I've been offered a deal on a primo used reel that's hard to refuse, by a respected board member. Good match for the ten wieght. Still think I'd like something to match with the Vector and a future 8 wgt. travel rod. I need to fondle a few at the shows.

#18 ·
I have a cpmplaint (albeit minor) about the book. Mitchell refers to the Pamlico Sound as a lagoon. While it maybe in a definitive sense, it does not match his description of a lagoon as a long narrow body of water with barrier islands and such and etc. I don't think he has ever been on it. These are the kind of fish you can catch in Pamlico Sound by the way:

Attachments

#19 ·
Ed is a great guy and a very good writer. I have had the opportunity to fish with Ed and Mark Lewchick down in West Haven in the springtime looking for weakfish. He was fishing with Mark and I while at the same time gathering information and photos for yet another book. He took some pictures of some very nice weakfish I had taken earlier in the night and told me to keep my eye out for them in one of his future books. He definitely does not have the same attitude as some of the more well known fishing celebrities, I don't think he would even consider himself a celeb, he seemed to me to be just another one of the guy's and it was a pleasure to fish and talk with him. I have not read his books yet but will certainly read them at some point.

Mike M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.