Fly Fishing Forum banner

second post

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
I just jumped in the middle of the general discussion; maybe I shoulda lurked a bit, eh :D A thread at flyanglersonline linked out to here, and this is some massive board you've got, and real tidy.

As my patience with my 28,8 allows, I'll fill out the rest of the profile and try to find a photo for the margin.

I guess by way of faceless introduction, I'm typing from a mountain in Anchorage overlooking the city, and am interested in catching things with fins. That amounts mostly to pacific salmon, trout and grayling. My family categorizes itself to no small degree as swampyankees, which I'd liken to a northern *******, so I don't release everything, will still use tackle and bait (however rarely), run a 4x through the woods to get to my favorite spots and am generally pro land-use. :eyecrazy: Wonder if we could get that toothless grin smiley here. :*******:

Let's qualify pro sustainable land-use, which is by way of saying that I might not write some of the most popular things here, but I intend any comments within the limits of a good sense of humor, soooo......looking forward to reading more of this site.

#2 ·
Welcome!

No, we're not a devout C&R board by any means but for a broad number of reasons I think most end up releasing a large percentage of what they catch. But a fish for the table is definitely a part of the reward of angling for most I've gathered from their posts. I certainly have no problem with it and keep a fish now and then for enjoyment. I haven't kept a fish this year yet but probably will before winter.

One area where C&R is non-negotiable in my book is wild steelhead in the lower 48 where they are clinging to survive despite competition with hatchery fish, dams, etc. In Washington, the Wild Steelhead Coalition is a perfect example of the kind of organization that works to hold the line on this. I would imagine in Alaska hatchery vs. wild is not an issue of this magnitude.

Anyway, good to have you in the community! This is a great bunch of folks here.

#5 · (Edited)
here's the one striblu, thanks.

And Fred, yep...that's exactly the area. I grew up in Springfield, but the roots are in Eastern CT, the Cape, Northern NH and Canada. It was an uncle in N Eastham who put my first spinning rod in my hands.

Gotta agree with you Juro. In fact up here even the hatchery runs are c&r. Down in Southeast I recall the reg for most steelie runs is that they must be hatchery fish and 36" long, so it's basically built to be impossible to keep one. That's fine, I don't keep a lot of trout anyhow; the nice football in my avatar went back, for sure. Hatchery supported salmon runs, tho...now, where's my filet knife and "Hon! Pick up some more ziplocs!"

Well, glad to have another place to read and write.

#6 · (Edited)
For the record, I have another year going of releasing all fish via planned and unplanned methods, the 14 steelhead I have hooked have managed to release (long and short ones) them selves, I am in a slump I guess, if you must have the satisfaction of actually landing a steelhead.

Does not matter to me, 12 of them were wild in a no kill section so they were going back anyway, they just were sooner then I thought.

:D :D

P.S. I don't even know if I remember how to clean a fish it has been so long since I kept one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.