Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GEORGE HARVEY DRY FLY KNOT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IMPROVED TURLE KNOT

Votes: 2 10.5%

Knots

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  saltRon 
#1 ·
Which knot do you use most to tie on a fly?

IMPROVED CLINCH KNOT
TRILENE KNOT
PALOMAR KNOT
CRAWFORD KNOT
FIGURE-8
GEORGE HARVEY DRY FLY KNOT
IMPROVED TURLE KNOT

#2 ·
During a reccent steelhead trip on the Muskegon River (last week), I learned why the Palomar knot is superior to the improved clinch. Landing 12 pound steelhead on 3x tippet in heavy current was possible when you used a knot that approached 100 per cent efficiency. The palomar does that, while the improved clinch that I normally use at best tests 95 per cent. Furthermore, I learned that the palomar can be used as a dropper on the tippet above the tag end fly. A great knot that is easy to tie and with it you gain additonal confidence as a result of its efficiency.

The George Harvey knot is strictly used here in PA for dry flies. It insure that the fly drifts correctly and, I believe, gives you a good hook set when you lift the rod.

One knot you didn't include is the non-slip mono loop. It is a superb knot that tests close to 100 per cent for flies that you want to impart additonal action by using a loop.

#4 ·
Mayfly - good topic.

I replied with one caveat - I tie loop eye salmon hooks with a double turle knot and straight eye hooks with a palomar.

I rarely use other knots except when tying a dropper off the bend of a dry fly for a small nymph, which calls for a uniknot. If my tippet in saltwater is too short to support a palomar and I occasionally use a clinch until the blitz subsides and I have time to replace the tippet provided I am using 15# or better for tippet.

Since this is a 'general' poll I chose palomar, which I believe is the best knot out there.

#6 ·
My knot

I use the improved clinch knot mostly, I just started using the orvis knot. (see attchment below) The major problem I have been having lately is with my perfection loop/fly line connection pulling out. I guess I'm trimming the tag ends too close. :rolleyes:

Attachments

#7 ·
What about the surgeons knot double and triple ---- triline 100% stength --- Clinch and improved clinch approx 90%stregnth test of line . Different Knots Different situations. two loops through eye improve your chances dependent your your finish wraps.
A knot dose not fail untill it slips or cuts through itself
My .02 and mister peat water
saltRon

#8 ·
I mostly use (double?) tucked blood knots (improved clinch knot) still, but also use the twice thru' the eye trick mentioned by saltron. I have never had one fail...

(I lie! just remembered merrily false casting when I realised the lovely dry I had tied on had mystriously disappeared this May (dismay:p ) - probably down to the "tea" I had with my lunch)

...but then I doubt most of the the fish I get into really test the leader strength let alone the knot!

I had to check out what a couple of the knots were (!) although I have used em all at some stage. I find myself always using the same knot for tying on a fly to keep it simple... ...where it gets more exciting is choosing one to construct a leader or attatch it to the fly line! ;)

Mylo

PS used this link from the leaders and stuff board below to brush up on make sure I was talking about the knots I thought I was talking about:
Leadertec knot site

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.