Fly Fishing Forum banner

WDFW Commission Testimony

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  saltRon 
#1 ·
Below I have pasted a copy of the letter outlining public testimony for the WDFW hearings on rule changes for Wild Steelhead. I also have the complete text of the proposed rule changes in pdf format if anyone is interested. E-mail me if so and I will fire them over. For those of you not planning on attending the testimony, PLEASE take the time to write in your thoughts.

In a nutshell, the WDFW is proposing two options: total C & R of wild fish OR reduction in the daily take limit to 1 on rivers with "healthy" stocks. You all know which option I think makes sense. After all, if these stocks are so "healthy", why do they need to reduce the take limit. The answer is they are not healthy and have not been for some time. Ok, off my soapbox.

Duggan

October 31, 2001

Dear Interested Citizen:

Enclosed is a package of proposed rule changes to the rules governing recreational fisheries for game fish, food fish, and shellfish. This notice is being sent to our sportfishing rule development list, which consists of approximately 1700 names. These include regulatory agencies, tribal biologists, clubs, and advisory groups. We look forward to receiving your comments or ideas concerning the proposed changes that are enclosed with this notice.

This notice and the information is also available on our website at www.wa.gov/wdfw.
This regulation cycle is what we have termed a “major cycle” so there are a large number of proposals in the package. Some of the proposals in this package originated from department staff, while others came from the public or from other agencies. All of the proposals in this package, however, have the approval of WDFW at least to go forward for public comment.

The public hearing for these proposed rules will be held during the Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting on December 7 and 8 at the Best Inn and Suites, 221 NE Chkalov, Vancouver, WA. Verbal testimony on the proposals may be presented at the hearing. Written testimony may be sent to Evan Jacoby, WDFW Rules Coordinator. All written testimony must be received by Mr. Jacoby
prior to the December 7 meeting. If you plan on attending, you may also submit written testimony at the hearing.

Both written and oral testimony will be carefully considered. At the public hearing, these proposals: (a) may be adopted as proposed; (b) may be modified; or (c) may not be adopted. Final decisions on these proposals will be announced at the public adoption hearing to be held in early 2002. The effective date of any changes will be May 1, 2002, unless otherwise noted in specific proposals that are adopted. Permanent rules remain in effect until formally changed.

If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for attendance, please contact Evan Jacoby at (360) 902-2930. This publication is available in alternate formats upon advance request. Please contact (360) 902-2200 or TDD (360) 902-2207. Please allow seven working days to process request.

Thank you for your interest in Washington’s fisheries resources.

Sincerely,
Lew Atkins
Assistant Director
Fish Program

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for the post. i guess i have been taken off the wdfw mailing list for this type of stuff. both options are certainly better than the current regulations.

i'll try to get to the meeting in vancouver, and it is important for everyone who can go to go. in the past, the pro-c&r segment of the angling population has done a good job in writing and showing up for these rule changes and making sure our comments are the majority. hopefully we can continue this trend because although it might seem after some of the past struggles that numbers don't matter (i'm guilty of this, and got pretty disallusioned after the last go around that raised the kill on the north coast) they actually do.

i would also suggest actually sending letters. while e-mail is good... i think that letters (non-form) are better and get looked at more than e-mails and form-letters, although i'm sure i'll get another postcard campaign together. even though i will write my own letter, alot of people don't have the time, so the form letters do bolster our numbers and that's always a positive (on the north coast increases, 82% of respondants were opposed to increased harvest.... let's hit 90% this time).

i'm getting excited that we might actually be able to get it done this time. the recent closures in the north sound, while regrettable, might be the catalyst that we've needed to see the needed harvest reforms made.

it's nice to see some positives coming out of the dept (although i doubt the biologists are in favor of it... when you're wed to MSY, it's just plain tough).

and anybody that works in tackle shops or in a business where lots of steelheaders congregate might think of putting together something.

chris

#3 ·
went and downloaded the package from the wdfw website (www.wa.gov/wdfw.... you'll need adobe acrobat to view the package). i misread your initial post to mean a 1 fish yearly limit (which is why i said both were better <G>) but the non-c&r option is for 10 a year total from the steams deemed "healthy."

it was an interesting packet. they want to open a harvest fishery on juvenile steelhead in the grande ronde (yes, i did a double take, but they said we want to harvest these fish in the summer and an 8" size limit should help).

also, they want to open the sanctuary water on the sol duc above the snider creek bridge (from there up to the park boundary) for c&r fishing. i have mixed feelings about this... it's good to open more water, but maybe the large amount of closed water is part of the reason the sol duc carries so much of the quillayute escapement.

it looks like they also want to finally make the north coast streams all c&r... although the end date on the skagit looks to be march 15th vs. april 30.

looks like there's gonna be more than one letter from me (and i didn't even mention the changes in saltwater regulations)

chris

#5 · (Edited)
Osmo whatever

I felt a littel out in left fied when I voted for the osmo group but in costal regions you can get both salt and fresh water species in both areas [ie] salmon trout[brown] so for what its worth a chance to fish be it salt or fresh sits high in my books

saltRon

This sure got screwed up wrong section TOO many Peat waters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.