Fly Fishing Forum banner

Calgary Area & Bow River Info Requested

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  trutta 
#1 ·
I'm located in Massachusetts and I'm planning to be in the Calgary, Lake Louise, Jasper, and Banff areas from 8/7 - 8/16. Does anyone have information or suggestions for guides? I would love to arrange a drift fishing trip on the Bow River and obtain information (secret spots)for some wade fishing in the area.

Also, I would appreciate any information on the availability of guide books for fishing these areas.

Please email me directly. Thanks.

- Brendan O'Brien

#2 ·
Brendan -

One of our esteemed is a Bow / Elk Calgary hardcore who is also our swap-guest each season on Cape - Pete Lavoilette. I would imagine if he has not already contacted you he is about to when the sun catches up on the other side of the divide.

Hopefully this will be another example of NorthFork's (Ryan's) observation... "small world".

Keep us informed of how this develops!

regards,

Juro

#3 ·
Brendan, You got it!
I'll be more than happy to show you around and provide all the information you need.
The Bow in August is PRIMO water and I plan to spend many days fishing it. I have a drift boat to boot and would gladly take you on a few floats. Buy a ticket in the raflle, you could win and help the Board. I know the local wade access points and the best guides to use if for some reason we can't connect. You can also use either my float tube or pontoon boat while in Jasper or on the way to Banff.
You should seriously consider doing the Crowsnest River, about 2 1/2 hours from Calgary and the Elk River, another hour further.
Both are world class fisheries, and both are situated in the southern Rockies. A 30 fish day on the Elk in August is the norm and 50 is not at all unusual, no kidding. And then ther is the chance of a 12 pound Dolly trying to eat your 17 inch cuttie is also to be expected.
Email me your exact itinerary and fishing day availability/wishes then we will put together the trout fishing trip of a lifetime all the time making sure the other folks in your party also get a great vacation and see the majesty of the Western Canadian Rockies.

#4 ·
RE:Calgary Area & Bow River Info Requested- Good Books

Blue Ribbon Bow - ISBN 0-919433-21-9 LONE PINE PUBLISHING
(this one may be out of print, try a library)

Trout Streams of Alberta - ISBN 0-921835-17-5

Both are authored by a friend of mine, Jim McLennan, with lot's of pictures and good maps to show access points.

#5 ·
Wow! Brendan, you're a lucky guy. I hope to get out there someday myself.

Pete - it's great to have someone as generous as you in the Canadian Rockies to connect with. We all look forward to dousing you with saltwater and stripers again this fall!

<i>It's a beautiful thing, isn't it?</i>

#6 ·
Hi Pete:

One of these days I'll make that trip myself. A couple of years ago I took the train all the way from Montreal to Vancouver with my wife and kids and we stayed in Jasper for a couple of days. I remember visiting the Jasper Park Lodge premises and walking around the lake. There was a truly large fish cruising around the turquoise waters. I could not believe how clearly I could see the fish considering that it was quite far away into the lake (way out of casting range).

I've heard some wonderful stories about the Bow, the Crowsnest and the Elk. Like I said, one of these days I'll visit the area but to fish!

Btw, do you by any chance know Alan Grombacher and Jim Stangowitz.

Cheers

Luis

#7 ·
Hey Trutta,
There is an open invite to you and yours anytime.
If you really want to have fun, try coming out during the World Famous Calgary Stampede, otherwise known as the gretest outdoor show in the world. It is unique. A city of over 800,000 folks who all dress western style for 10 days. My fet already hurt from thinking about wearing them danged cowboy boots! The rodeo alone is a premier event and the kids just love the midway rides. Should start around July 6 this year. It also coincides with the end of spring run-off and the best trout fishing you can get.
Book the time now and enjoy the US$ conversion rate. You will find it less expensive than a 1 week trip to Disney world and just as much fun, even for the kids?

Pete

#10 ·
>Ever fish the St-Lawrence, on the south side
>or do the annual gig with skinny lips (Shad),
>in the Laval area, below the dam?

Hi Pete:

Yes, I fish the St. Lawrence (see the "Urban Flyfishing in Montreal" piece in Destinations on the side bar). I tried the shad thing but it's a circus from shore (shoulder to shoulder yahoos). I also tried wading the Riviere des Prairies to get away from people and almost drowned. Not a fun place.

Luis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.