Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hello from down under

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  benhohnke 
#1 ·
Hey all im 15 and have been casting flys in the back yard for around a year and have just recently in the last month of november taken it to a practical stage my first trip being to a genral trout dam in the nsw highlands for rainbow trout the water wasnt as clear as it usually was and the trip was unsuccesful apart from my mate who cuaght a nice 30cm rainbow on a worm. My other trip was with a fellow fly fisher adam who would teach me the art of catching carp on wet flys he managed to catch a whopper but i was unsuccesful all in all i had a great day. Im going to be doing lots of fly fishing for trout and carp these holidays thats for sure wish me luck
cheers
ben

#2 ·
G'Day Ben...

Welcome and make yourself at home...No worries!
The Forum is a fine place to learn and share and make friends and...
NSW is a great place to live and enjoy the great outdoors...Go for it!
Years ago (in my previous life) I got to fly in and display a C-5 Galaxy at the Richmond Air Base Air Show and had a major HOOT...
They (locals) took a liking to me and convinced me to drink too much loud-mouth-soup and get stupid! :eek:
'Wish I could have annoyed some fish...

Don't be a stranger...
Cheers

A tip...
It's a good idea to wear a broad brim hat and some sort of protective glasses (my choice would be shatter proof polarized sunglasses) to prevent catching one in the eye! :whoa:

Attachments

#5 ·
now im annoyed. i was practice casting in the fornt yard and on my back swing my practise fly got cuaght on a branch and snapped the rod about 20cm up from the join. i think its totaled now but i have been offered a daiwa rod for $50 so should be good

#6 ·
first fish on fly

after purchasing my pfluger fly set up a few weekends back i finally planned a trip .went down the creek today after it stopped raining in search of some big carp with the fly gear. we saw them as soon as we arrived but couldnt get casts to them due to the scrub around so we continued on i saw a big one cruising around heading toward the bank so i snuck in and it was half out of the water sucking at the bank it eventually turned around i flicked a fly in front of it but it ignored it and continued on when i heard the sound of adams reel going off so i grabbedthe lip grips and help him land the first fish for the day. we continued on and adam got another one we continued on several kilometers down the creek when the creek started to get alittle slimmer then there was a hole with a carp holding in it. i flicked a cast but we lost sight of it so we kept going and came back. i could just make its shape out through the glare of the overcast day but i couldnt tell which end was its head. i flicked a cast to the right of the obect and then it moved and i relised that was its tail so i pulled the fly out and recast this time about 20cm in front of it the carp turnedand swam to it sucked it in and i lifted the rod tip this time it was bearing the weight of the carp. about 5 mins into the fight i told adam to grab the cam and take some action shots! then about 10 minuetes after that we had the lip grips in its mouth and up on the bank! i was stoked! well after that we covered many more kms of the cr eek before deciding to call it a day!
hopefully this will be the start of many fish on my new fly rod.

#9 ·
its still really dry and in drought down here. we have just been having sprinklings of rain over the past week, not enought to fill the water supplieas and creeks but enough to makethe palce look green!

#10 ·
this weekend

got up this morning was nice and freezing so i decided i got try for a nice rainbow or brown trout. headed off in the car snow was everywere first time its snowed down this low in a very long time sveral decades actually. got to the local town after several detours and found out the road to the dam was closed due to extreme icy conditions. we waited till the snow was gone off the road and headed up the hill. we got to the dam and everything started to clear up the sun came out but by the time i had my gear out ready a big fog came over and visibility went out the door we decided we better leave before we had to spend the night in the car. here are some pics of the dam

hopefully monday of this long weekend may be a little more promising!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.