Fly Fishing Forum banner

Line question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 ·
Im a newbie.... How long should the line be that is attached to the floating line? Also my fly's tend to sink when i cast am i doing something wrong or is this fine?

#2 ·
The length and diameter (2X, 3X......7X) of your leader line depends on the size of fly and type of fishing you are doing. Generally speaking, the larger the fly, the larger the diameter of line needed. Some brands such as Orvis have a chart on the back of the packaging that cross reference fly sizes to the diameter of line needed.

As far as length goes, the longer leaders are often employed to prevent spooking wary fish. The fly will "turn over" softer and more gradually because the change in diameter of the line is spread out over a longer distance. Shorter leaders will tend to turn over quicker for the the opposite reason.

If you are casting tiny flys such as trico spinners to wary trout in clear water, long small diameter (7X) leaders are recommended. If you are casting larger flyes with a sink tip line to bass on the edge of weed beds, a shorter larger diameter leader may be in order.

These are just my own observations and experience. However, I am certainly a novice as compared to some of the other gentlemen that frequent this site, so please heed their advice as well.

#3 ·
Sorry......forgot to answer your other question. The fly may be sinking because the diameter of your leader line is too big. Extreme example....If you are using a short 3X leader to cast a size 18 dry fly, the line may be delivering to much energy in rolling the fly over and "slapping" it through the surface film of the water.

#4 ·
leader or backing?

Sheriff Freak,

When you asked about the "line attached to the floating line," were you talking about the leader (the monofilament, usually tapered, connection between the line and the fly) or were you talking about the backing line (the braided line behind the floating line)? Others have answered if you meant the leader. However, if you meant the backing line: Backing line is used so that if a fish is strong enough to pull out more than the fly line, there is additional line to allow the fish to run. For trout and similar size freshwater fish, it's rare for the backing line to be needed. I've had only a few trout run that far in 45 years. Normally, 50-100 yards of backing is used with trout size fly tackle; 150-200 yards for salmon and steelhead. Reels should be chosen to hold that much backing. A lesser advantage is that it prevents the back end of the fly line from being wound around a small reel hub, from which the fly line would come off looking like a coiled telephone cord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.