Fly Fishing Forum banner

...Night of the Isopod...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Acers of big bass busting all over for hours...lots of surface gulping and "follows"...threw everything but the kitchen sink with a few nerve racking follows and only minimal results (considering)...
Finally broke the code (with a little help from my friendz)...
A fine net revealed an itsybitsy crab hatch in progress (less filling/tastes great) and numerous Isopods (definitely didn't taste great...and tried to afix to tongue...deep six...thank you very little!).
The bass were zeroed into these miniature morsels and wouldn't bother with anything else (except for the .01% who didn't get the word/non-comformists)...Net/flatzz boat/educational opportunity supplied by the Right Honourable and WellHooked Capt Todd Murphy!
Better daze ahead!

#2 ·
Todd makes me jealous. He lives on the correct side of the canal, fishes even more than I do and has a day job that works his abs - poling his Hewescraft on the southside flats! ;)

All kidding aside, he's been a great friend to the FORUM and a wealth of knowledge - great to have him in our community.

#3 ·
Isopod tongue pearsing! 6/28/02

Fished with Pete G. (funnest guy on the water) and Todd Murphy (one of the finest captains) and like Pete said fish were feeding on small crabs and Isopods. We found that out after Captain Murphy used a skim net and caught a bunch of them. He dumped the contence of the net out on the deck and was checking them out and of course Pete had to taste one of each. The small crab was no problem for him, but the Isopod started boring into his tongue, so he spit it out (ie. Isopod tongue pearsing).

We did get a few fish to bite. After trying everything, I put on a gurggler and sure enough it was just enough to piss a couple off. First one was 39" and second was 27". Thanks a lot captain can't wait to see the picture. Let's do it again!

#7 ·
Excellent fish Craig and great pic of the juvie crabs - hmmm, now, where did I put those size 12 hooks .... On second thoughts, better make that 18s :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.