Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poppers at Night

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
#1 ·
I've never fished poppers for stripers at night so I'm looking for a bit of guidance. I'm assuming that most of the fishing with poppers off the surf is done at shorter ranges -- under 80' -- correct?

The reason why I'm asking -- last year I bought a Rio SSH floater 10/11 wt. and I cut if back to 31'. Can't remember what I wanted it for or why I cut it back to that mark. Anyway, it comes in at 530 grains which is about right for the Atlantis. It flies well out to about 80' or a bit more but as can be expected with such a short head, it starts to crash much beyond that. It makes for a great popper head as that short front taper and thick belly will drive pretty well anything. Being so short, it''ll fish well in tight.

So I'm just trying to determine if I should stick it with the other saltwater heads or chuck it in a drawer and forget about it.

#2 ·
Peter -

You probably already found out or will soon that the short heads that flail at distance are a good match for large air-resistant flies. The parachute on the end makes the loop form stay put longer.

Casting a line like that with a puff of yarn over 100' is ugly but with a big boilermaker popper or a bushy fly it tames the medusa head nicely. Hard to say without testing it but it sure sounds like an asset to have for popper fishing.

Are you cape-bound?

#3 · (Edited)
juro said:
Peter -

You probably already found out or will soon that the short heads that flail at distance are a good match for large air-resistant flies. The parachute on the end makes the loop form stay put longer.

Casting a line like that with a puff of yarn over 100' is ugly but with a big boilermaker popper or a bushy fly it tames the medusa head nicely. Hard to say without testing it but it sure sounds like an asset to have for popper fishing.

Are you cape-bound?

Figured a popper would calm it down. I wish I was Cape-bound but the reason for all of this is much less interesting. Since my switch to shooting heads, it's forcing a reorg of the steelhead gear. In the process I turned up that head. Also took delivery today of the Airflo intermediate and Type 9 beach lines for the Atlantis. Mounting those on the HD 9-13 as I type. So it made me think "Cape".

BTW, nice long tapers on those Beach lines -- looks like they'll do double duty quite nicely for Underhanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.