As mentioned, I've found that stripers tend to get crabs into their crusher plates and so are deep hooked more often with crab flies than other imitations. Therefore I'm trying circle hooks this year for this fly...
Circle hook - in this case a 1/0 Gamakatsu black, but looking for other colors like green to match the green crab look. Gami is famous for chemical dye on hooks so I have hope.
- 50# mono
- grizzy marabou tuft
- butane lighter
- tan and green felt (in sheets at craft store for peanuts)
- rubber legs (I like green with sparkles)
- goop or other adhesive
(a video clip will follow)
1) Tie in a pair of small weighted eyes in the clouser style. Go heavy on the thread to ensure sturdiness, put a drop of zap-a-gap on the thread and let it dry
2) Take a small length of 50# mono and make a fish-shaped loop. Tie the vertex against the center shank of the hook, on the side away from the point. This becomes the frame for the fly, so as you might expect it is tied in perpendicular to the bend. Wrap sturdily and put a drop of zap-a-gap on the junction to secure it.
3) Tie the grizzly marabou tuft's stem to the vertex of the mono loop so its barbs will extend beyond the felt body shell when that's added later.
4) Tie in four rubber strands in a madam-X fashion to the vertex of the mono loop on the shank of the hook.
5) Lay two sheets (green on tan) of felt together and cut the body shape out at the same time.
6) Apply plumber's goop to both sides of the felt and adhere to the assembly so that everything sticks out as desired... legs, eyes, filia, etc.
7) Use lighter to melt eyes into dark bulbs.
Let dry and fish it right on the sand. I have been amazed at the fish-catching ability of this thing. I've got some stories about it on Monomoy that I'll reserve for the clave!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Enrico's Tarpon Crab on a circle hook||Bjorn||>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies||7||12-27-2010 10:12 AM|
|Circle hooks||neil1314||Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here||6||03-25-2003 10:01 AM|
|Crab Apple #3-Different Green Crab||striblue||>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies||3||12-03-2002 08:02 AM|
|Crab Apple- Green Crab and Blue Crab||striblue||>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies||3||11-30-2002 08:13 PM|