Huge flies for huge fish - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Huge flies for huge fish

I realize this is a relatively new area for most flyfishing venues in the northeast but has anyone had experience with very large flies for use in pursuit of the top end of the age classes in stripers? I am trying to stock up with the most tempting morsels, or should I say missles to entice the biggest of the bad during the migration. I think this is going to last well into November with lots of fish still up on the North Shore.

It's common knowledge that foot-long eel slingers and liveliners using adult pogies have a much higher ratio of big fish per hookup and I am on a mission to change those odds to include the long rodder with the Atlantis rods. I realize that the ratio of overall hookups lowers, as it does with eel slingers and liveliners, but the percentages of legal fish is probably in the 90 plus percent range.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the spunky little schoolies as much as the next guy but there are definitely times when I would rather just put my time in for a high stakes payoff. Migration is one of those times, spring or fall.

I figure what the heck, I can cast them now

I am working on a bigger version of the tube calimari and trying to maximize the bunker pattern to it's limits currently. If you want a real laugh check out my black boa eel pattern, an original :hehe: I will post a pic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.