Backing Replacement - How Often - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Middle Aged Member

Backing Replacement - How Often

Normally, I'm mildly anal about leaders and so forth but I guess I have been a little lax this year, just haven't got into it with all this crappy weather and crappy life issues. I bought a bunch of fresh leader material back in the beginning of May but hadn't done anything with it. Failures started when I broke off a hung up fly with mild pressure. Tied on a new fly and a couple of hours later dropped a nice fish at my feet with a brittle fracture at the hook eye, knot still in tact. Then last Saturday morning I'm walking down the beach blind casting and I notice my fly's gone. Line broke in the butt at the loop knot.

Anyhow, it's mid June and time to get a little serious and make sure all the links are up to snuff. I did get to see a little backing last Saturday and got to thinking. What's a reasonable life for Micron saltwater backing? I've got a couple of spools with 3 seasons. Assuming visual inspection says it looks ok should I be concerned about breakdown of the material?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.