Side-arm casting stroke... - Fly Fishing Forum
Works for me! Tips and techniques worth sharing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Marine Scientist

Question Side-arm casting stroke...

I was listening to George Roberts' "10 Steps to Distance and Power" video this evening while putting Perma-Gloss on my current rod project, and got to thinking about the way that I typically get the most distance out of my casts... and it's when I'm casting waaaay off-vertical, in fact the rod is nearly parallel with the plane of the water's surface during the entire cast. For some reason, I'm able to get a lot more line out that way; I think it might be because when I finish my forward casting stroke, the rod tip is actually higher off the water than it is at the conclusion of my back cast. So I'm not saying that this is "proper casting form", but I can shoot in the neighborhood of 95' in this manner. Does anyone have any similar experience, or can someone give me some pointers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.