Nice Surprise - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2003, 06:18 PM

Nice Surprise

A report and a question for you salt water oriented folks. A week or two ago I spent part of spring break with the family up on Whidbey Island. We stayed in a cabin on the South-East side along Saratoga Passage. One gorgeous morning we explored the tide flats with the kids - sinking in the sand, digging up clams, picking up tiny crabs out from under the rocks and from the small tide pools/puddles, and of course collecting pile worms and sand shrimp for fishing later that day. All the while I was scanning the beach - a good portion of which was covered with rocks, barnacles, and some eel grass - thinking about the opportunities for sea-run cutties.

The late afternoon high tide finally came about and I set the kids up on the bulk head casting bait under bobbers. I didn't have great expectations. Just was hoping to get them hooked up with a bull head or flounder. Didn't pull out my fly gear as I was moving from one kid to the next baiting hooks, pulling seaweed off lines, and helping them cast. After a bit, much to my 6-year old daughter's surprise her bobber took a dunk and started off towards the deep water. She shrieks, but manages to do a good job getting the fish under control. When I finally get to her she's making progress on the little one. I'm thinking flounder at this point but see a bright flash. I immediately change gears as now I'm thinking that she's hooked a reasonable size SRC and I want to help her land it with a little more finesse. Together, and with the help of her older brother, younger brother, and a few other kids standing nearby we land the fish which turned out to be a nice healthy 16 inch Coho!

So now the question... The Coho, to my surprise, was fin clipped. First of all, I wasn't expecting to pick up a resident Coho up there. I've caught cutties in the past but no Coho's. On top of that I was surprised to see the adipose fin missing. Could this have been one of the long lost South-Sound Coho's? Have any of you seen these fish that far up the sound? just wondering... also, if you do think it came from the south end program, I'd appreciate a refresh on the data collection contact.

tight lines.
-Olyfly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.