Fly tying vise? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 02:33 PM

Fly tying vise?

I made a mistake and bought a Cabela's Fly tying kit to get started in fly tying. After tying my first two flies (larger sized hooks) with no problem, I tried a smaller size hook (size 12). I couldn't get the Cabela's Master Vise to firmly hold the size 12 hook. I adjusted the cam to increase the pressure on the hook, but when I cranked down the cam the back side or threaded part of the collet broke in half!!

Is this just a poor quality vise or did I do something wrong?

I'm planning on returning the vise and purchasing one of better quality. I'm hoping to spend under $50 and was considering the Thompson Pro Vise (usually priced between $35-$40). I don't need any real fancy gadgets or frills, just a dependable vise that will securely hold the hook.

I normally tie flies in sizes 10-18. Could anyone recommend a good quality vise that will fit my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2003, 05:22 PM

Thompson makes a very serviceable vise. My Thompson Pro is still going strong on a friend's bench. My suggestion is to take a flyer ob purchasing a vise -- a number of which are currently available on eBay -- in the Renzetti style. You can pick one up for under $50 and, from what I have heard, they will serve you better than the Thompson Pro. My $0.02.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Recent Member

I have been using a Griffin for several years. It is not a rotary, but very servicable. Will work with #18 hooks. You might look into one of these.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Marine Scientist

Cabela's actually carries an inexpensive Regal knock-off vice for around $40; it's the same one I use to tie everything from size 18 up to 3/0, and have never had any trouble (knock on wood) with holding hooks securely. I've had this vice for a little over two years, and have no reason to look at anything more expensive. It's not rotary, but if you're a beginner there's no real need to buy a rotary vice, IMO; learing to use it may hinder the learning curve of tying. I'm no professional, but I tie on the order of 10-30 flies a week (time permitting) and have been pleased with my vice. By the way, this vice has spring-loaded jaws, and looks like it could take a direct hit from a .44-cal and still be functional. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.