Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Tying Vise?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
I made a mistake and bought a Cabela's Fly tying kit to get started in fly tying. After tying my first two flies (larger sized hooks) with no problem, I tried a smaller size hook (size 12). I couldn't get the Cabela's Master Vise to firmly hold the size 12 hook. I adjusted the cam to increase the pressure on the hook, but when I cranked down the cam the back side or threaded part of the collet broke in half!!

Is this just a poor quality vise or did I do something wrong?

I'm planning on returning the vise and purchasing one of better quality. I'm hoping to spend under $50 and was considering the Thompson Pro Vise (usually priced between $35-$40). I don't need any real fancy gadgets or frills, just a dependable vise that will securely hold the hook.

I normally tie flies in sizes 10-18. Could anyone recommend a good quality vise that will fit my needs?

#2 ·
uptrout,

It was nothing that you did wrong. It was totaly due to a cheap, poor quality vise. Unfortunately, you learned the hard way about the false economy of fly tying kits that do not have quality name-brand tying tools in them.

That said, the Thompson Pro Vise is one of the under $100.00 vises I recommend to people. It will last a long time with minimal maintainance, has magnum and a midge jaws available for it that are inexpensive (under $15.00 usually). And it has the original draw-collet design that Thompson pioneered and patented 80 years ago. Also, Thompson stands behind there products (which are made in Illinois) and will replace parts that wear out free of charge if you send the vise to them.

I have a Thompson 360 SLT (a fancier rotary version of the Thompson pro) that I tied on for 13 years commercially (100,000 or so steelhead flies per year), which was sent to Thompson twice during that time for replacement of worn our parts. Thompson vise co. never charged for the parts or shipping the vise back to me, and they did so in only 1 week. This vise is now being used by one of my sons because I "retired" it when I got a Dyna King Baracuda 6 years ago.

Another good choice is the Griffin 2A vise that is in the same price range.

Above all, do not buy an imported copy of an American vise. They are all poorly and cheaply made; thus, are a waste of money.

#3 ·
cabela's vice

sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the cabela's vice. i use the same vice you mentioned even though i have two "more expensive models". and i agree, i don't think it was anything you did wrong, made you did in fact just get a cheap vicwe with your particular kit. call it the luck of the draw, maybe? Regal has a fine line of vices, but they can be a little pricey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.