Virgins 0, Sully 1 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2000, 01:29 PM

Virgins 0, Sully 1

Fishing at PI this morning a young lady all set up for fishing stopped by and asked Terry and I if the fish were biting. We told her yes that schoolies are around.

While we were fishing I noticed her setting up with herring chunks and fishfinder with a 2oz. sinker. Just before I had to leave I went over and asked her if she was fishing for dinner and she replied no. I then explained to her that schoolies is a term used to describe sub-legal striped bass and that the minimum size of a keeper is 30". I then explained that I had caught some fish this morning that were far short of that size and I released them all basically unharmed. She said that she doesn't keep any fish either.

Without inquiring about her fishing virginity, wise move on my part. I went into detail of the ethics of C&R and how to fish plastics with spinning gear. She was very interested since I convinced her that it is a very productive way to catch fish. So I replaced her bait fishing setup with a jig and BA. I gave her a lesson on how to fish it and how to handle and release the fish, wished her luck and off I went. I know it's not an introduction to SWFF but since she had equipment and was willing to learn I figured I'd do the next best thing. I hope she caught one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.