With the old fly tyers last night - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2000, 09:21 AM

With the old fly tyers last night

Last night at the monthly UFT meeting it was Old Timers night.
I was talking to the original founder who had founded the club in 1959, the year I was born. I told him about a 7 1/2' 5 wt. I got from my dad. I had little background info on it. It was custom built by one Amelio Destefano. It was monogramed with my Dads name and Amelios. Beautiful trout rod. This man Gerry was able to give me a lot of background on the Destefano family. 2 brothers and one sisters, all rod builders in the Boston area during the 50s, 60s, and perhaps the 70s. He told me it was probably a lamiglass blank. He had some pictures of the Destefano family too. Amelio lived in Malden and his shop was in Boston. Amelio used to also build surf rods on Harnell blanks. It was great to connect with this piece of regional flyfishing heritage. I still fish this rod, but it's been too long. Maybe next month.

Also, at the meeting, I sat in on a tying group led by Jan van Straaten who guides and ties at the Orvis shop up in Beverly. We tied a "Rhody Flatwing". Awesome pattern!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.