New Brunswick/Labrador - Atlantic Salmon - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
New Brunswick/Labrador - Atlantic Salmon

I always dreamed of fishing the Miramichi and other costal rivers in the region for Atlantic salmon. I might plan a trip there with my dad, uncle and cousin in a year or so and was looking for information and websites regarding this.

Anyone from this neck of the woods or happen to have any information. What about lodging and travel, any airports within the area. Any local towns or hospitals?

Also, what should I expect "river-wise" in this area. Are there many rivers that harbor Atlantics, or just a select few. What about private rivers and seasons? Are some rivers only allowed a certain number of rods per week, year, etc? Is the land owned by individuals, are certain beats private?

What time of year is best, within the season? I know atlantics spawn in the fall, but is this the best time to target them, or would summer be better and more worthwhile? What about spring grilse, I heard about this angling for "blackies" before?

Ahhhh......yesss, what to take spey wise? Long bellied lines, adapter shooting heads, sink tips....what works best. I will have a 14' 9wt "euro" rod, and a 13' 2" 9wt "euro" or possibly a 12'4" 8wt "euro", as well as a 12'6" 7wt traditional....are these alright to try my hands with a spey? Fly selection? I know if I go during summer, I want to try my hands with drys? Otherwise, what works well....

Lastly, are there any brook trout streams by ones hosting landlock salmon?

Please offer any advice possible! By the way, please don't tell me if I don't have a Barbour overcoat, one of those english chap hats, and a pipe I won't fit in.....LOL I don't want to have to go spend my wallet to look like I know what I am doing.....not that it matters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.