Fly Fishing Forum banner

Double Haul

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Mark, thanks for pulling this forum together with all the guys iching to tye these babies,,, It is great to see our tying archives building up... By the way..Mark ,you should contact Juro and get yourself as moderator to this forum like the warm water one or maybe we have someone else who wants to monitor this one... After the shows I need to devote some time to the bonefish and Bluewater fly sections.. I think these forums are important to an all around flyfishing site, as much as the tackle and environment sections... the reports are the fundamentals but these are the heart. Just my thanks and short editorial.

#2 ·
Shoulda read this one first....

I saw your thread in the Worldwide Forum......I have no problem taking on this archive as well. I've sorta been looking out for it all along anyway, like a little brother. Like you said, these archives are the heart.

Juro, if you like you can set me up for it.

John, my efforts don't come close to yours in the saltwater archives. But thanks. :)

#3 ·
Mark, we'd love to have you get involved with this topic as well as the others you've been watching over!

Just to let you guys know, I've been thinking through the moderator role in the forum and plan to reset things for the 2003 season. Many people have asked me "what does it mean to be a moderator?". I found it difficult to answer.

As soon as things settle down I will get my thoughts together and know in no uncertain terms what a moderator is, and at that time I will ask for volunteers for all sections according to that definition.

In the meantime, Dble Haul, striblue - thanks for looking over the several boards for which you both already are moderators.

Until then, if anyone would like to enlighten me with suggesioins for the 3-5 key things that define what a moderator should be in the future of the forum (anybody) this would be a good thread to suggest them while the topic is under review.

I think the role should be more involved - have more responsibility, but also should have rewards that make it very worthwhile to take the task.

Thinking....

#5 ·
Simple Guidelines

IMO -

Several important things to consider regarding moderating any level of interaction amongst participants:

Initial subject matter
Creation of framework of discussion
Facilitating discussion
Developing group and participation
Managing content

Further finite management as necessary.

Dble - this, considering there wasn't any discourse this past weekend.

#6 ·
Dave, you are correct in that there was no discourse regarding this.

I have to say that your brief outline touches on some important areas, and I especially believe that the third (facilitating discussion) and fourth (developing group and participation) are the most important. The others kind of work themselves out around here, seeing as people are here seeking out or sharing specific info and flaming threads are very rare.

Without speaking on behalf of my role as a moderator, I'd like to say that the others do a fine job. There are peaks and valleys (i.e., how many warmwater threads will there be in the winter time), but in the long run more folks will participate and each individual board will receive more traffic (ideally even in the slow months). As this happens, the facilitation and development will also swell a bit in kind.

The striper and steelhead contigencies of this Forum are huge. Developing the boards with less traffic will take time, but can be hastened by pulling the lurkers from the woodwork. We need to continually promote the sharing of ideas and knowledge.....this is what makes everyone better, and what will keep this site growing.

Knowledge is power, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.