Salmon blank recommendation - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Recent Member

Post Salmon blank recommendation

New to the board and was hoping you could offer some advice. Up until this year I fished Salmon with a 9' 8wt Sage RPL that I build on a blem blank. When Salmon fishing I am usually alone (separated from my fishing partners) and therefore must "tail" my own fish to land them. This results in nearly a "U" shaped bend in the rod - which the Sage has stood up to fine for the past 10 years.

This year, due to increased hassles with air travel, I decided to try two multi piece rods - a St. Croix SCIV 9'-9" 8wt 3-piece and a Redington Wayfarer 9' 8wt 7-piece. I broke BOTH rods tailing fish the very first day of my trip! Both rods snapped in the butt section, and while both were replaced under warranty I have lost confidence in their ability to perform the required tasks and will therefore be selling both.

I am looking for recommendations for multi-piece 8/9 wt rods that can take the strain of bringing a large fish in close enough to tail it. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.