E.C. Powell Cane Rod Available - Fly Fishing Forum
For Sale by Owner Non-commercial items for sale!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Recent Member

E.C. Powell Cane Rod Available

E.C. Powell medium action dry fly rod
-9'6" semi-hollow design
-WF7F (I have fished it with a DT8F and found it excellent)
-2 piece rod with spare tip in original tube and rod sock
-4 3/4 oz
-Patent No. 1932986 (inscribed on butt)

I sent it back to Orvis and had it appraised (appraisal dated March 26, 1992). I will supply a fax of the appraisal in advance if desired. The appraised value back then in "current condition" was $800. Condition described as "Excellent" with only defects noted as follows: "The varnish is chipped away in isolated areas and the hook keeper is missing. After careful thought, I do not suggest any repairs." I pulled the rod out last night and also noted that the tip top guide on one of the tips is loose and needs to be rewound. Not sure how it happened but looks like an easy fix. Note that Orvis identified the rod as circa 1948-49, but before it faded I read the original postage stamp from the factory as 1945.

This is a beautiful, strong, fishable rod. I have only fished it 2-3 times in the last 10 years I have owned it, but the last time out in 1996 it landed a 32" wild buck steelhead with no problem. I am selling it because I have an identical Powell rod in 9' and want to reinvest in a new spey rod.

Let me know if you are interested (or someone who might be) and make me an offer. I will be putting it on EBay in a week.

thx

Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.