A trip to the flyshop... - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Recent Member

A trip to the flyshop...

I am planning a small fishing trip after work with one of the moderators of this board. He gave me advise, after a scouting trip to the river, on some of the flies I should have in my box.

I took a lovely sunday drive to a flyshop with my girlfriend. We had to walk throught the floor in the store with guns and mounted animals on the wall to get to the Orvis department. I could tell she was uncomfortable. Once in the shop I started searching through the nymphs and terrestrials while she started to look at the tying material.

The salesman asked if I needed help. "Well," I responded,"Iam sure that I do but I have no idea what questions to ask." The salesman moved away from me quickly with a chuckle knowing he just avoided getting stuck in swamp mud.

She suggested a few flies that I should buy because they were "cute". I never heard this word used before by flyfishermen. I thought that if it was cute to her it would be cute to the trout. I proceeded to pick out the less cute nymphs.

She returned to the materials. To her horror she saw a rabbit mask complete with eye holes and ears. "My god! What can you catch with this?" I knew she was not a PETA member. But I could sense that she was apalled. I could not bring myself to say beagle bass.

I knew that it takes a special woman to embrace this pasttime. The one's who found them...you know who you are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.