Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2002, 06:22 AM
_

Question flytyer -- Black Ghost Zonker questions

This is worthy of a new thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by flytyer
I caught a lot of carp mid-day during the summer and early fall on the Missouri river in Montana when I spent 6 years living in the hamlet of Cascade which sits right at the end of the quality or blue ribbon trout water of the Missouri.

The fly I used was an unweighted Black Ghost Zonker. It has yellow hackle fibers for a short tail; a black braided mylar tubing body; yellow hackle collar; and a whilte bunny strip tied zonker style. Use red or fl. red flat waxed nylon at the rear of the wing where it is tied to the end of the hook shank and black 6/0 to tie in the wing at the head of the fly. I used it is #2, 4, or 6. Fish it with a stacatto strip by using the rod tip and pullingthe tip down and back toward you, then strip in the slack and so on until the line is back at the rod tip.

I caught so many carp of 25 to 20 pounds that I had a friend accuse me of being addicted to carp fishing. He also got into the habbit of fishing for them at mid-day and used the same Black Ghost Zonker.

Give it a go, I think you'll like the results.
Interesting! It sounds like this fly is a baitfish imitation rather than an insect imitation. My friend and I have both hooked very large carp (accidentally) while fishing floating/diving silver & black Rapalas. Maybe the really big ones like to eat minnows? The carp I hooked was cruising in very shallow water. My friend caught his near the surface in 3' of water. Perhaps this is a good method to catch the large fish that are cruising or feeding higher in the water column?

I'd like to hear more about this. Were you blind casting or sight fishing? Were the fish "mudding" or cruising? Do they chase and inhale the fly?

Could you add this fly to the archives? (hopefully with a photo? )

Thanks!

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.