The hatchery fish puzzle??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2002, 02:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Question The hatchery fish puzzle???

OK. I am firmly a believer that hatchery fish even in prime conditions do not respond nearly as well to a swung fly as wild fish do. In terms of the river I have been fishing lately these hatchery fish are such weak responders as to make fly fishing for them a complete waste of time.
However they respond very well to lures like blue fox spinners and hot shots so it's not that they are lock lawed dour fish.
I absolutely will not fish weighted flies or nymphs for them....!!!!

I want to know what do you think would bring these fish to a swung fly???

Should I try something with a lot of flash like a spinner? Should I try something VERY large and invasive? Or should i try something small and natural looking???

here is what I have tries to date.
Skunks and other traditional steelhead flies fished on sink tips and floating line.

Muddlers in all colors and sizes fished floating and on tips

1/0 Marabou patterns on sink tips

Spey flies on floaters and on tips

I know I could get them on stone nymphs or glo bugs dead drifting but I will not fish that way.

what do you guys think??
By the way on an average day I probably cover 50-150 fish with my flies and only got one fish which was of course wild.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.