7/9-7/18 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report: - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2002, 07:15 PM

7/9-7/18 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report:

Where the land ends LIFE begins

7/18
Client was a no show. Its too bad because it was sunny all day and with these tides we could have sight fished to a lot of big bass that rarely eat, like yesterday. (he-he)

7/17 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Time and territory are the two key factors. Most people miss the biggest fish in the lake because they're fishing at the wrong spot at the wrong time.
(Will Kirkpatrick)

John and I had a beautiful, sun filled, windless day on the flats. Spent the entire day sight casting to a good number of big, spooky, fussy bass. Saw about 15 - 20 lb'ers, 40 or so 15 lb'ers, etc....We started off landing a couple of schoolies on the flat and then the fish kept getting bigger and bigger. Would not touch John's fly. We had lots of lookers and close inspections, but they kept refusing it. John had plenty of perfect presentations so I knew THAT was not the problem. (To describe what a perfect presentation is would be an entire article. When I have more time I'll try to write one. Lots of variables involved to be proficient, in my opinion.) As the day progressed we picked up another schoolie and decided to change to another flat where we might find some better eaters. As soon as we arrived we were seeing more big fish. First cast and this 15 lb. bass inhaled it as if it was to be it's last meal. It easily went 100 feet into the backing before we fought it back to within 20 feet. Then it gave us another scorching run into the backing again. What a hot fish! It measured out at 35 inch's. This was John's biggest bass ever. The best part was he saw it, cast to it, saw the take and the entire run and fight. Congrats!!

You wont be seeing any pictures for awhile. I was watering the sand and I dropped my camera into the water and now all I can see through the view finder are little bait fish that swam into it as it laid on the bottom. That was about a $350 dollar mistake. Maybe I should get a water proof camera? Da!!! (he-he)

(See Photo)

7/16 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
If you want to catch fish, you'd better be fishing in the right pond. (Fisherman's Saying)

(See Photo)

John and Frank fished several different flats and flats channels through out the day. It was funny to find one section of the flat almost void of fish and then move 200 feet over to another travel lane on the same flat and find the mother load. Found birds working over bait and a number of good sized bass with some smaller in the mix. The fish were very picky all day long.
Boy, these tides are ripping hot presently. Need to be more careful as the water is coming in pretty fast out there.
Know one seems to know why we are not seeing our normal number of fish around. I'm hear the entire S. E. Cape is fishing slow? They are here, just not in the numbers we are used too. Is it August already?
I'm not seeing the normal amount of bait around, so I would have to guess that this is the reason why. I know that the water temperature is fine.
With these faster tides, Im noticing that some of the fish are holding or targeting flats creeks. These area's bring them a steady amount of food in the current. Presenting you fly is just like throwing any streamer into a river or stream. The best part is you can visually pick out the fish you want to present your fly to.
A friend landed a 240lb. Tuna the other day. Was told the Japanese are paying anywhere from $9-15 per pound. I'm seeing several commercial Tuna boats per day heading out for the giants. Some are around, but it's still hit or miss. Saw a couple 800 pound Blue Fin Tuna on the flats today in 3 feet of water. They were being fussy eater's too. (he-he)

7/15 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report

It has come to my attention by one of my most wisest of clients that some of you feel the
fishing reports should be placed at the top of this page.
It seems that some of you are having a tuff time fitting the 3 extra seconds it takes you to
scroll down to today's fishing report's into your busy schedule. I'm also sure that it must
be exhausting for your finger to hold down the mouse button for that long too! Sooooooooo, for
today only, I will make an exception this one time and put today's report at the top.
I hope your finger appreciates it!

(See Photo's)

Jeff and Fred hit a number of schoolies today while blind casting. Saw some big'ns on the flats,
but no takers.

Noticing lately we have been getting a number of short strikes. Going to a smaller fly or a fly with a shorter tail will
normally solve this problem. Or maybe I should just sharpen my worn out, rusted and dull hooks?
(he-he)

Water temperature change on a flat:
Once in a while we come across subtleties in nature that most would walk right by without a
second glance. By paying attention to these almost insignificant signatures clues can help
you to become a more proficient angler.

The other day we were walking a flat that was made up of bowls and channels at the high.
All of a sudden we noticed through our thin breathable waders a major temperature change in
the water. We had just walked into what felt like bath water. It had to be at least 70 degree's
or a lil better. We immediately stopped and started to look for fish. In about 20 minutes we saw
and cast at about 20 fish. A number of other bowls were void of our quarry, while this one acted
more like a magnet to the fish.

My good friend and top wade guide, George Ryan taught me to always pay attention to temperature
changes on a flat. In the spring time search out warmer water and in the late summer do just
the opposite.

The observant angler will always out fish the non.

7/14 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is a society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but nature more."
(Lord Byron)

(See Photo's)

Chris and I did a combination of blind casting and sight fishing today with success. We hit fish in 3 out of 4 spots. I felt pretty good at days end about our success's as most anglers were haveing a very slow time of it. A few of us are concerned that we are not seeing the normal number of fish around at this time of year - tide. Few around, but not as many as there should be. Hmmmmmm!

7/12 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Win and Jeff had several first's today. They got to sight fish all day and Win caught his first ever striper. Today we had little to no wind? It's been so long, I forgot what it was like. We saw a fair number of fish on the flats and only had one slow period for about 1/2 hour. Otherwise it was one here and a couple there for most of the day. Noticing some fresh fish around, but not in the numbers I was expecting. Few fish around presently. Should get better as tides increase in speed. The fish were actually eating pretty good today. We broke off one fish and had 6-7 short strikes.

(See Photo)
Win saw the fish, cast at it and then watched it inhale his fly. Congrats to you all!

7/11 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Chris, Damin and Fred fished the flats for the first time today. It was a new and exciting experience for them all. Seeing the fish in the shallows and watching them inhale their perfectly cast (ahemmmm) offering was wild. We also did some blind casting into some strip'a hold'n waters and were also rewarded. We landed 4-5 keep'as today a long with some schoolies. Great time, great fun, great company!

(See Photo)

(Above are just a few of the landed fish from today, all fish released) Congrats to you all!

7/9 - 10 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Repor t
Yesterday the fishing was S-L-O-W for ourselves and everyone else I spoke with. We did manage to hook-up a couple of small ones and lost an approx. 15 lb. or more Bass. It ran about 125 feet into the backing and when we fought it back to within 30 feet the hook pulled lose. Very windy!

Today, I was once again flattered to be asked to model some merchandise for Orvis. Clothing, rods, lines, luggage, etc.. were all photographed. Two of the most highly respected and well known flats Guides - Capt.'s joined us also. Capt. Bob Benson(Fishing the Cape- Orvis endorsed Outfitter, Guide Service Shop) and brother Capt. Rich Benson joined the team by also doing some modeling. They shuttled us all around in their boats to different locations depending on wind, back drops, etc. We even got to fish for fun today. We picked up a few fish while blind casting into a deep, fast moving channel and also picked up about a 1/2 dozen fish while sight fishing the flats.

We cast the new T-3 rod all day and were once again amazed at how light it was in the hand and the power it had. Both Rich and myself started off trying to over power it with our very aggressive casting style and found that by relaxing and letting the rod do the work (cast ) for us, it became effortless. The one product that I (as a wade guide) liked the most was a entirely new high tech. product line of light weight chest, fanny, back packs and a combination there of. Any of you who wade the flats like I do, will like them too!

(Photo - John Halnon)

Best Fish's,
Randy

The grin say's it all!
Tom (13 year's old) lands a 16 lb. Steelhead on the Salmon River in upstate NY during the winter time. Interested??? I might know someone who could help ya! (he-he)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tom.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	669  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.