Great Lakes Steelhead Flylines - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
Great Lakes Steelhead Flylines

Well, just want to hear some different opionions on favorite lines that you guys use in the Great Lakes region with spey rods?

Our rivers in the Great Lakes region are generally smaller, tighter, and contain more obstacles than western steelhead streams. Although, there are exceptions with waterways like the St. Mary's river, Muskegon River, Big Manistee and Niagra River. Spey fishing has become popular in recent years, but many anglers perform double spey, single spey, and roll casts using european, fast action rods. This allows anglers to high stick nymph as well, yet use their rod in larger rivers and in the surf too.

I do alot of indicator nymphing with my spey rod, and a floating line is needed to nymph effectivly. A line that has a long belly is best, since it will allow better mending and roll casting when presenting the fly. Often, a long belly line such as a double taper will not have enough punch to cast indicators and splitshot. This lead to the question....do I buy a DT line for mending, roll casting, and better presentation, or do I rely on a short head nymphing line that takes alot more effort to mend line and roll cast? I looked at the Windcutter but it had a long tapered head that intergrated into a longer belly, which allows to cast into the wind and punch, but has a harder time with casting splitshot and indidcators, and does not support enough belly to handle cross body roll casts. I looked at the steelhead/atlantic salmon flylines and I found one that was perfect. The RIO Atlanitc salmon/steelhead flyline. A friend of mine is a guide and gave me a casting demonstration to show how slick the line was. It has a head that is 85ft. long, and it is really thick up in front to punch with ease.

I also like Airflo's quick descent sinking lines that are very thin and cut through the water easily. I use them for throwing speys in rivers and also to get down deep in the surf.

Let me know what lines you guys use and why you like them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.