Yak Safety - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Yak Safety

I know that I see many fishermen wearing waders in their kayaks as they travel from point A to point B. Personally, I would never do this - even while wearing a PFD.

The way I see it - even if you can swim with your waders on it will surely be much easier to get back into the yak without the waders. When I paddle I usually wear fleece pants and a thin fleece top (not loose fitting) or just a bathing suit and a fleece top. The fleece offers protection against hypothermia (a serious killer when you turn over a yak - even in the middle of summer when in the ocean waters of New England). The extra struggling with the waders on will only result in greater heat loss.

I also lash a West Marine inflatable PFD around the deck of my boat. If I ever flip it and if I find that it is too water logged to turn over (my present ghetto yak does not have separate/dry storage compartments so it takes on lots of water) I figure that the PFD will help me right the boat and/or at lest get me to a point where I can use my pump to get the water out of the boat. Obviously I also wear a PFD.

Has anyone had experience swimming in waders while wearing a PFD?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.