Stacking Deer Hair - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Stacking Deer Hair

All,

When I signed up for the present warmwater fly swap I signed on for tying a matuka sculpin. I signed up for this fly because I know that it is effective for bass and I know that tying the fly requires some tying techniques that I had not tried before. The fly would be a learning experience for me.

Well, I have cranked out 5 or 6 of the flies (3 that I deemed worthy for the swap so far) and I have learned a multitude of tricks that help me to tie the fly. However, I find that I have trouble packing the deer hair as tightly as the man that tied the fly that I am copying.

The men at Hunter's Angling helped me pick out the best deer hair (for spinning) that they had. This is not my problem. I have read many articles on spinning deer hair and I am decent at it. However, I have some questions for any members that may have experience spinning deer hair.

1. Is it better to tie in many smaller clumps of deer hair (half the diameter of a pencil) or 4 or 5 larger clumps of deer hair (the diameter of a pencil).

2. Do any of you have an opinion about putting Zap-A-Gap or superglue on the wraps that you use to attach the deer hair. I do so but you must be very careful not to glue the deer hair into a position that is not perpendicular to the hook shank (unless that is the effect that you are looking for).

3. Do any of you have tips for keeping different colors of deer hair separated (this fly is olive on top and white on the bottom)? If I am going to make a mistake I shoot for some white on top not olive on the bottom. You can always use a marker to color in some of the white hair that crossed the color boundary and drifted to the top of the fly.

4. After tying in some white on the bottom of the fly and some olive on top I fold back the olive hair on top and I fold the white back on bottom. Then I slip a loop (a twist tie) with the ends twisted together over the hair in order to keep the hair out of the way when I spin the next clumps of deer hair. This works pretty well for me. Any other tips out there?

Maybe I can consult with the "pros" and see them spin some deer hair at the Marlboro show.

Thanks.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.