sea kayak info - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2001, 10:45 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

sea kayak info

In an attempt to keep myself alive while paddling all over creation in a sea kayak I "mentioned" to Santa that I would like books pertaining to kayaking.

One that I found in my stocking was "Sea Kayaker's Savvy Paddler - More than 500 Tips for Better Kayaking." It covers everything from major equipment purchases to planning and packing for multiple week trips. It doesn't go into subjects like the mechanics of an eskimo roll, it is more a checklist of do's and don'ts to make your paddling more efficient.

Some of my favorites:

#1 - A week of competent instruction is worth a year of just paddling around.

#9 - The best way to learn to stay dry is to get wet, often.

#21 - Every time you go out for a day paddle, spend the last twenty minutes doing a few practice rolls.

#36 - Test paddle a loaded kayak. Feel and performance will be very different with a load on board(at least 50lbs.) You can use two-liter bottles filled with water.

#60 - A paddle that's shorter overall will permit a greater variation in stroke rate.

And the one I found most interesting:

#127 - Glue a piece of neoprene or 1/4 inch foam under your feet in the cockpit. It will keep your feet warmer and prevent sandy boots from wearing a hole in the hull.

I'll post worthwhile tips from time to time. I also have a line on a decent kayaking school down in RI that I am looking into. I want to procede correctly so I don't find myself in over my head at some point next year. Buying the kayak is easy, being safe is a full time job.

Happy New Year.

~Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.