Hello world! - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 PM

Hello world!

My name is Sean and I am an avid hunter thanks to my grandfather. He was also a fly fishing enthusiast who loved the great outdoors. One of his final gifts to me after he passed was two fly fishing rods in his possession.

I know nothing of fly fishing and have always used a spin rod when we fished together. So, in my quest to become a fly fisherman I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer to help me get started.

First and foremost, the two rods I received are made by Lamiglas. The one I can remember at the moment is a Lamiglas im905. It is graphite and has a 5 line wt.. Now, my question is, how is this rod for beginners, what I can effectively fish with this in the eastern Alabama area and what would be a good reel to purchase for it?

Secondly, what is the monetary value of the rod in question?

Third, what else should I invest in as a beginner?

Thank all of you in advance and I hope to grow and learn a great deal by surfing these forums!

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I used to have an IM graphite lami rod back in the 90's but it was an 8wt for steelhead. The rod is very popular in gear models for non-fly use in the pacific northwest. I would say it's worth about 100 if in very good condition. Fresh water use is much less demanding than salt, so you can use about any reel that balances the rod. What would you be fishing for in Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.