Puerto Rico 10 Months In.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 PM

Puerto Rico 10 Months In....

Been living in Puerto Rico for ten months now, and to say that the fishing here is not what I expected would be an understatement. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be fishing in Salt only 10% of the time I would have said you were nuts.

When I arrived I thought that Tarpon fishing was primarily a Saltwater game Ė but I was most definitely wrong on this point. While this Island is indeed packed with saltwater Tarpon, virtually every body of water (including drainage ditches) is loaded with Baby Tarpon I live in a neighborhood that has Tarpon in just about every Golf course pond, and as you get to the larger ponds Ė the definition of a Baby Tarpon is up to 60 pounds. Fishing for them is simple Ė up every Saturday and Sunday @ 5 am, jump in the Golf Cart and fish until 7:15 when the first Golfers hit the course, then fall back to the Lagoon and fish till 9. Average morning is usually 4 fish jumped, and 2 landed. I then take a break during the day and head back in the evening to fish until sunset where I can usually land another fish or two. Itís absolutely unbelievable.

As mentioned earlier the Tarpon are not limited just to my area. I have had success in the Golf course and canal at the Ponce Hilton, The Lagoonís in the Reserve by the El Conquistador , and the Humacao area has several Lagoons and Canals that can all be fished by foot - and all have Tarpon. I have read repeatedly where a boat is required to fish the Island Ė but itís simply not true. Virtually Every river, canal, and Lagoon that I have fished has held Tarpon.

The fishing is a mixed bag of casting to rolling Tarpon (low percentage shot), to sight fishing the fish as they work up and down the Hydrilla lines. If you see a dorsal fin and a tail at the same time, and can get a fly in front of them they usually eat. The other option is to work the lee side of the pond or lagoon and look for wakes Ė the two latter options are high percentage shots.

As far as Saltwater - I have fished several times but to be honest itís somewhat disappointing . This is not due to the fact that itís unproductive - as it most definitely is not . To date I have fished Pargera, Boqueron Bay, and the San Juan Area but for the most part itís a deeper water game. The guides I have been with have generally looked for birds, and/or surface activity, and then positioned the boat to allow you to blind cast into the general area. Usually once you get to the boil you will hook into either a Jack, Albie, or Tarpon. Itís very productive Ė but I still prefer seeing the fish and watching it tear into the fly.

Bottom line itís good enough that I still have not been tempted to head over to Anegada, Culebra, or Vieques to take a shot at my first love Ė Bonefish. If your in Puerto Rico Ė and have a desire to fish for land based tarpon feel free to reach out Ė Itís always nice to hang with other Gringoís!

MD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aLagoon.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	7259   Click image for larger version

Name:	blagoon.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM&PRPoon.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	7261  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome! I miss my trips to PR for tarpon and bones. You're doing it right man, exploring up inside.

I fished La Paraguera and Boqueron Bay and the lagoon at SJ. LP was outstanding when I was there, the action was insane. B/B needed a boat as well as SJ but I did not (yet) explore the countless lagoons as you have, although I really wanted to I jumped over to Culebra.

That is a whole different fishery... I found the bonefishing to be similar to the Keys, rather than copious shoals of 2-3# fish there are less dense packs often containing some really big bones.

Also some giant permit as well as oceanic tarpon, jacks, etc.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Sounds awesome! I may have to get there one day. Tarpon are always fun!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 PM

Great post! You have me drooling
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 PM

tarpon near san juan?

i will be traveling to san juan late july and would like to encounter someone to point my in a good direction for inland tarpon.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You can also try a private message to mdbones. I know I would
Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up STX Bones

Loved reading your post on PR tarpon/saltwater fishing. If you care to try St. Croix, your neighbor to the east, I have a place here you could use as a base. Caught 8 bones last Friday...all sightcasting. This time of year can be very good IF the weather cooperates.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Sorry for the late reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagodonuts View Post
i will be traveling to san juan late july and would like to encounter someone to point my in a good direction for inland tarpon.
Feel free to PM me - I am around for the rest of the summer - open To host early am during the weekends - good water since its been raining nonstop the last 4 weeks - they slow down a bit this time of year but still worth the trip.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.