Eleuthera Report 2/10 to 2/17 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Eleuthera Report 2/10 to 2/17

Just got back from a week at Eleuthera in the N. Palmetto/Governor's Harbour area. The weather was cold and quite windy the first several days. I actually wore my fleece out to dinner one night and that's a first. I think the cold front kept a number of fish in the deeper waters early on. Days 3 and 4 were much better and I got into a good number of fish on the ocean side. Right off my beach front rental house I caught 3-5 pound bones, mutton snapper, jacks, palometa, baracuda, and even a pilchard on a shredded, thin clouser.

The flats fishing seemed thin so I focused on the ocean side and caught most of the fish on size 4 & 6 chartruese/white or tan/white clousers. My limited experience suggests that just about any fly works on the ocean side rather than the flats where fish are much more selective.

Ethics/Technical Question: My question is regarding tippets/leader test. I lost many bones both sight casting and blind casting using a 10-12lb leader with 10lb tippet. That got frustrating so I checked my gear bag and had some 16lb and 20lb flourcarbon leaders for baby tarpon. I switched to a 16lb tippet and didn't lose a fish after that.

I usually broke off as the fish was taking it's first run and I was trying to clear the line through the guides and get it on the reel. Am I just going to need to get a lighter touch as I clear the line or am I OK moving up to a stronger leader/tippet?

Thanks,

Marty

Last edited by MartyG; 02-19-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.