Snook leader - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Bruce

Wow - just Googled Sanibel and Here's a guy with a fly rod in the wash with a tarpon. I've NEVER hooked a tarpon and is becoming my obsession. Ron... What am I doing in Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Bruce...supposedly tarpon have been caught off the beach...but not by me. I was told that they are usually at the drop off of the bars about 200 yards out (no, can't walk out unless you want to drown). One option is to rent the kayak for a week.
The guy will deliver and pick up.

Tarpon are in Pine island Sound (the other side of Sanibel) all late May/June and part of July. It's a whole 20 min. drive. In the winter months I rent a kayak and drift....usually lady fish, sea trout and reds...snook are very cold sensitive.

Last June I went to Captiva Kayaks to rent a yak and try for tarpon.....after some wise words from the owner, I chickened out. Seems that 100s of hamerheads follow the tarpon in Pine island Sound......I invisioned being in a 12 ft yak...hooking a tarpon...bringing it to the boat (if I wasn't pulled to France) and then.............................

Snook fishing was so great...I decided to just enjoy what I was already enjoying and live to fish another year.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Captiva/Sanibel Snook

Definitely recommend this - I've only been in November, way off season, and I've still been able to sight cast to snook 2 feet off the beach. Just a blast. White flies (shminnow as mentioned above). Minimum 25 lb bite tippet.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM

New to fly fishing in salt but not to saltwater fishing. I am a Florida native and one of the best places to fish for snook is the inter-coastal down in Englewood, FL. Plenty of places to stay with dock access. We stay there on the beach every year. There is a pass from the inter-coastal to the Gulf called Stumps Pass. Narrow little channel through there but there are some big fish down in that area. Look it up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.