2010 Annual Question: Neah Bay Action? - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 PM

2010 Annual Question: Neah Bay Action?

Once again wondering if anyone is heading out to Neah this year? In 2009 I had 2 really great trips for Coho in August and then 1 slow trip in Sept.

I'm heading out there 29 July-> 2 August for the first run of 2010.

I have not heard any recent reports. Creel counts look like it's a bit slow for Coho but it could be that everyone is focusing on the Kings at this point.

Any info welcomed.

-t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Keep us posted. I wish I lived farther north sometimes. The Neah Bay fishery (and on out to Swiftsure Bank, if the weather be good) has always been appealing.

How large and how feisty are the Coho you usually hook in the Neah Bay fishery? What flies and what strip rates do you find most productive? How deep do you fish? Any action on the surface?

The reason I ask about "surface" is that I didn't take any of my Kodiak wogs to Prince of Wales. I won't make that mistake again, as the fish in Neck Creek inlet were resting on the surface with their dorsals sticking up in the air. Perfect wogging conditions on Kodiak and maybe there, too. Hope to find out next summer.

Cheers,

Eric

Curious minds want to know
Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Glory days - I miss Neah Bay! I have some vintage home video of Swiftsure I have to dig up and post... orcas, swarms of krill and herring as wide as the eye could see with horse mackeral pushing them in waves and fat coho leaping over their backs to gulp the bait from out in front of the slower mackerel. Kings in the tyee class in 20ft of water along the Vancouver Island coastline and halibut big enough to worry about bringing on deck.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.