Need Help w/ Crab Fly. - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Need Help w/ Crab Fly.

Hi all,

OK, I guess I'll have to eat crow (not the feathers) and ask this. Although I've seen alot of pics of the finished item, just can't seem to grasp how to tie the body of a Raghead Crab. I've yahoo'd and google'd this subject and come across written instructions (w/out step-by-step pics) but just don't seem to understand "clump, lump, stack, ... the material for the body on the hook shank". Then there's the glue and the clippings/shavings, (I think I get that part). Is it tied merkin style, or similar to a glo-bug, or the way a woolhead sculpin is tied? Anyway, if anybody has a link w/ step-by-step pics I might have missed, or a book reference, or a newsletter from a club, or a fly that is tied similar (Mangrove/Bonefish Critter), I would greatly appreciate it!

Have been practicing casting from my deck (50-60ft) as I still have 2-3ft of snow in my yard. But w/ 16 hrs of daylight it's going fast.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
President of CAC

I have not tied one in a long time...but some directions almost sound like it is stacking dear hair.... . I would tie it like Puglisi does with his material.... once the legs are on... tie in no more than , say three "thin" clumps on the shank...tie them somewhat close together... then the key is to start gentling "pulling" outward...not pulling the stuff out...but use your fingers to shape it by flattening and pulling gently until the shape is flattish... then I would use some Gop, lightly to form or finalize the shap... then cut to shape with your scissors. The key is the shaping with your fingers... which when done will actually form to hide the shank and mix around the legs.... If it looks to thin after the first material application...just gently tie in a couple more in any gaps you created. after a minute or two of shaping you should have it cover the shank like a lolly pop covers the the stem. sort of like Merkin style.... finally another approach is to clump on a thick piece.....one tye down... then manipulate the material with your fingers...flat...pull, etc.

Last edited by striblue; 05-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks alot John, really appreciate the advice. AK
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Casting in the yard, now. No snow until Ocober. We have 2 seasons in Anchorage. From October 1st to May 1st is winter, and from May 1st to October 1st is non-winter!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 AM

Thanks to all that sent an email.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.