True bluewater extreme... - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bluewater Extreme Test the limits of the fly fishing domain

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
President of CAC

Really?.... Like the 14 blue fin he hooked....had them tow him around.... before he caught the celebrity fish..... they eventually broke off with hook , line and lure still in their mouths..... probably spinning slowly down to the bottom. And the charter captian who had to help him with one fish...took the rod... and broke it and then towed him back 14 miles to the shore. That's the real storyabout his ONE fish...get the facts first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
LBFF Mojo

So John sounds like you are giving up fishing for bluefin. Do not want to hurt the poor fishes. If you feel that strongly about it seems a little hypocritical to fish for them at all, especially with an intent to release. Most of those 14 were probably on for minutes and over a long period of time. A couple years I am told. A decent charter captain will hook that many in a day.

See no difference with this than guys using light spinning tackle or 14wts for big bluefin. End result about the same and we all make our own choices.

-sean
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean

Sure he may have an ego and is doing something way dangerous. Nature usually has a way with dealing with that.

-sean
Well said.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:47 AM
President of CAC

"Not really concerned with how he goes about it"

Expand your thinking if you can......It seems as though a point is missed here... My point is really this and it has nothing to do with fish quotas.... I can "piss and moan" about the fact that this jackass has the potential of putting other people in harms way attempting to rescue him..not some commercial guy doing it for a living or even some recreational guy with a safer method..like a boat. and I certainly feel that I put it in the catagory of Intentional "irresponsible" fishing . It didn't sound at all like I was going to give up on Blue fin fishing although I admit I like striper fishing better. Is this clearer? But I suppose for a single 45 year old, who still lives at his Mommy and Daddy's summer home , such manly ventures might increase his ability to get laid. I am speaking about Our "hero". One other point... the 14 other fish were towing for a while..I suspect, not having done it this way that with the right drag set it can tow you forever.....screw it up after an hour or so and it might then break off..so I can't see the comparison with the 14 wt at all......... unless you raise it just to be argumentative. If you think about it ...if he had a large Penn Reel and short Tuna stick...the tuna would still TOW him around...so it is not really about light tackle is it? I really can not say anymore about it...If you think it's ok...then fine. You are entitled to your opinion and your comparisons.. Politely calling me a hypocrite ("a little hypocritical") with such misguided comparisons seems intentional..over and out.

Last edited by striblue; 11-30-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

john,
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that had that reaction to the article.

Lee
Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Flats Rat

I have to be careful what I say here - hence my late response

Anyways, there comes a point where the battle between man and beast takes on a new dimension. I must admit the thought of a tussle with a BFT from the yak had crossed my mind a couple of times in the past.

There was a post recently of a guy tackling tarpon on fly whilst snorkelling. It was a hilarious and entertaining video and the fish eventually threw the hook. But there is serious side ...

Last edited by Adrian; 12-03-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I didn't read all of this because I am in denial of the arrival of winter.

But... my opinion (you know the saying) is I might like to try something like this once - BUT not tell anyone about it unless they see me and ask WTF? Exhilarating challenges help a guy feel a sense of primitive victory and make some of us feel more alive. HOWEVER I would not do it for press exposure or the admiration of bloggers; or if I was the support system for small children, etc.

Kinda what Adrian said

Because I did not read the thread fully I have no idea who I opposed or supported nor is it important, just another post in a stream of flyfishing consciousness (or semi-consciousness in my case)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.