True bluewater extreme... - Fly Fishing Forum
Bluewater Extreme Test the limits of the fly fishing domain

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
True bluewater extreme...

Adventure and fishing, or a death wish, you decide. Anyway, catching a bluefin tuna from a kayak is not for the timid, or for old men.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/sp..._r=1&th&emc=th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 AM

THAT is incredible!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
President of CAC

According to the report , if this guy is waiting to hook a 300 or 400 pounder from the yak, I have serious doubts that he will be able to do that. Unless he is extremely lucky especially if he gets it near the yak... and it's zig zagging all over the place. It's possible I suppose but ...... Why fight it to death? Whats the point... do people need the ego boost..."Lets climb Mt. Everset without bottled oxygen". "I fought and landed a blue fin tuna from my yak"...No Jim, not a death wish...but rather. a manly man! with the largest chongos, unlike the rest of us guys. Just an opinion from .......Bond, James Bond .... PS. The answer is in the article...."“I can’t be revealing all my secrets,” he said, “or else guys who are younger and in better shape will be breaking my records.”....Me, me, I, I , MY ,MY

Last edited by striblue; 11-23-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Maybe he would like to fill his freezer and feed his family only on his terms and the hard way.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
President of CAC

I doubt it.....A NYC commodities and futures trader is unlikely to have "feeding the family" problems along with high end reels. And getting his story in the NY Times is exactly what he "needs". Fighting a fish, any fish, to death is BS, even if you intend to keep it just to satify some "ego" issues he has not dealt with. A blind man can see that. He is not considered a "hero" by many I know despite what the article says. It is "his terms" that are ego. Also, There are "harder" ways to catch tuna from a larger boat....like lighter tackle than he is using. Now...I do not know the so called "secrets"....but if it were me, I would easily hook it with a spinning rod if within range....let enough line out till I get the "thrill" of the nantucket ride....Keep enough line out, letting it run....keeping it away from the yak..big deal.. till it goes belly up.... then hook the line to the back of the yak (The "secret "probably is doing so while it is still many yards away from the yak)...as I rowed, sweating back to shore , tipping my hat to all the women watching a real man at work.. shouting "I'll be at the Squire tonight to tell you what is was REALLY like"... Later that night..... "so there I was, all alone with a crazed tuna atleast 400 pounds.... I knew I was in trouble when it's dark eyes looked right at me... Like..like..challenging me... You know , Ladies... I was too afraid to be afraid... That was when I felt really ALIVE. By the way... are there any reporters around?" ......That is all I am going to say and will not waste more time on it.

Last edited by striblue; 11-23-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Striblue:

Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM

I have to agree John. I liken this to sport hunting simply to mount the head of an exotic animal on a wall. I could be wrong but my understanding is that a fight to the death would create enormous lactic acid build up rendering the meat almost useless.

With all the press in recent years over the decline in tuna stocks why not just hitch the "special kayak" to the back of a power boat for the same sensation.

I realize there are much greater villains destroying our oceans but killing a 100lb fish, destroying any eatable quality all for self promotion leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM

I'm just waiting for the "muy cajones" guys to figure out that a real man should chase Makos and Whites from kayaks.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtloon
I'm just waiting for the "muy cajones" guys to figure out that a real man should chase Makos and Whites from kayaks.

Drag a dead tuna tied to a kayak back to shore often enough in those waters and you probably will end up with a white or mako on the line.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
President of CAC

................also, the next story will be about how the Coast Guard guys will risk their lives to have to save him and there will be no stories about them individually who had to waste time and money to rescue this clown. But the stories of OUR hero will be big stuff in the posh Manhattan Bars as he relates his spin tingling experience to all the other suits (and reporters) sipping dry martinis....shaken not stirred........Next stop... David Letterman show
Old 11-27-2009, 07:42 PM

I admit my ignorance regarding my original perspective on this topic especially after discovering the plight of the Giant Bluefin Tuna ((scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bluefin-tuna-stocks-threatened-cites-japan-monaco) and (npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94299340) thanks to Bob Triggs!).

I certainly can admire the extreme aspect of the quest, but after a short retrospective it appears self serving to say the least.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM
President of CAC

I personally don"t think it has to do with ignorance at all... It is afterall, at first blush, an extreme activity which Human nature will rally too....so I certainly understand your reaction... some on other forums have said that it is similar to the "Wright Bros" and from someone I know well for years... which was a surprise to me.....Nevertheless...one point worth mentioning is that this is not, looking at the laws of physics, the hard way to catch Tuna...in fact it is probably the easiest (not the yak off 20 miles ) way to do so... I will not restate the obvious...but trying to bring a 160 pound Tuna from the gunnal of a boat as quickly as you can, using your power to pull (with help from the boat as well) is far harder than letting it pull you for hours until it died.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 AM

Excellent points John.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Fly chucker

This guy has set a dangerous precedent for imitators who are not as safety conscious as he is.

And yes, I too believe that he has a massive ego and is using this attention to stroke it.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 AM
LBFF Mojo

Really? I am sure there are much larger things out there to piss and moan about. The guy caught 1 fish, kept it and was done. Not like he is a charter catching a dozen or so, fighting them all for an hour or more and then maybe keeping one of them. His impact in a year is a total of maybe 2-3 fish. Whatever you think of him, the method he is using an extremely low impact method to catch fish. Finding bluefin to catch is hard enough in a power boat much less in a kayak.

Whatever the plight of the tuna is it is legal to keep em. I would much rather see a guy go out and take his one fish and hang em up for the day. Not really concerned about how he goes about it. I am quite convinced many tuna die from catch and release, much higher than with striped bass.

You see others catch a bunch in a day when the odds are at least 10% a released fish is going to die. I am sure most of the charters out there have killed many more tuna via release in a season than this guy will kill in a lifetime.

Sure he may have an ego and is doing something way dangerous. Nature usually has a way with dealing with that.

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.