Magnum Diver in Perch Coloring for Big Pike - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Certified Fish Nut

Magnum Diver in Perch Coloring for Big Pike

I'm definitely in cabin fever mode and was day dreaming about large post spawn pike after ice out. Needed a couple more large pike streamers so came up w/ the following pattern w/ a 9" overall length. Gonna work on a sucker version next.

Recipe:

Hook: Mustad 3407, Stinger, or equivalent in Sz1-4/0, Tied the above on 1/0.
Thread: GSP 100 in Chartreuse. I love GSP thread for spinning deer hair, just don't use 50 denier as it cuts thru the hair like a razor blade.

Hair: Sexy hair or you favorite long fiber synthetic.

Head: Spun Deer Hair

Colored Features: Orange, Yellow, Black, and Red Sharpies.

Start by tying in thread at the hook point. Tie in 5" long tan or white colored fibers both above and below hook shank.

Next, tie in 6" long chartreuse fibers on the top and 3" tan on the underside

Next, tie in 7" and 8" long green fibers followed by 7" dark brown fibers on the top side of the hook shank. Note - only the green is shown in above picture.

Next, tie in green bucktail on the top and yellow bucktail to form a nice transition from the deer hair head to the synthetic body. Note - only the green bucktail is shown in picture above.

Next, spin dark green deer hair for the head.

Next, trim the deer hair into a diver head.

Finally, trim the synthetic fibers to the desired silhouette, and finally use colored sharpie markers to add the final details (red gills, black stripes, yellow to brighten the tan belly, and orange for the anal/pectoral fins of the yellow perch.
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Fly chucker

That's a fine step by step, and a fine fly. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Certified Fish Nut

Field testing this past weekend was partially successful. Fly action in the water was exactly what I wanted. 2-3 surface bulges before fly saturates and then suspends ~6" below the surface. Nice side-to-side wiggle on a steady retrieve and long fibers didn't seem to tangle too much.

Don't false cast too much if using a 8 or 9WT to cast these beasts. Wind resistance on the dry fly makes accurate casting a decent challenge even in light winds.

Now, if only I could find some fish!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.