Mustad C70S hooks - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:37 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Phil, thanks for the info on the Signature 34007. I've got several hundred standard 34007 in various sizes to burn, unless I can unload them.

Incidentally, while pricey, I'm a big fan of Gamakatsu and Tiemco.

Hope to see you on the Cape this year, but it sounds like you have diald in a premiere fishery on your homewaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Phil, thanks for the info on the Signature 34007. I've got several hundred standard 34007 in various sizes to burn, unless I can unload them.

Incidentally, while pricey, I'm a big fan of Gamakatsu and Tiemco.

Hope to see you on the Cape this year, but it sounds like you have diald in a premiere fishery on your homewaters.
Yup. I turned a negative into a positive after the Southway closed. If it is as good as it was last year I will host a gathering again here for the Forum with Juro's blessing. Doesn't mean I won't visit though. I look forward to seeing the Clan again and will surely visit a few of my other favorite spots on the Cape in May and June including the Clave. Jim. Unload some of those older 34007's and give the Sig's a try for me. I'm just curious to see if you and anyone else reading this approves. China or not, the smaller barb and the fact that they are easier to sharpen...................?

Phil
Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Mustad, Baby...

Don't know if anyone actually checks this part of the forum (since the last post was in 2009) but here's an update on Mustad. They've actually updated their tempering process on all their hooks, making them stronger and sharper. The Signature Series are still where it's at for saltwater stuff, for me. Again last year I hit Andros and had a MONSTER 3.5 days of landing double-digit bones with Big Charlie. Not once did we straighten a hook, though we used 20-lb tippets and #9 rods. We strictly used the Big Game Lights. By the time those bones were through with the flies, they looked like they'd been left on the interstate for a day or so, but the tips were still sharp as hell and the shanks straight. For more info one their new tempering process, visit their site. I spent an informative 10 minutes or so with a rep of theirs at a small flyshop last fall and am more sold on them now than ever. They're cheap, strong, sharp and built for fly fishing. What more could I want.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Don't know if anyone actually checks this part of the forum (since the last post was in 2009) but here's an update on Mustad. They've actually updated their tempering process on all their hooks, making them stronger and sharper. The Signature Series are still where it's at for saltwater stuff, for me. Again last year I hit Andros and had a MONSTER 3.5 days of landing double-digit bones with Big Charlie. Not once did we straighten a hook, though we used 20-lb tippets and #9 rods. We strictly used the Big Game Lights. By the time those bones were through with the flies, they looked like they'd been left on the interstate for a day or so, but the tips were still sharp as hell and the shanks straight. For more info one their new tempering process, visit their site. I spent an informative 10 minutes or so with a rep of theirs at a small flyshop last fall and am more sold on them now than ever. They're cheap, strong, sharp and built for fly fishing. What more could I want.
Very nice fish on those Mustad C70S hooks and a good informative second review on your part. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM

The hook dilemma

Just a thought, I have been using Eagle Claw Billy Pate (L067) hooks for several years, I've never had one bend, much less straighten, they're sharp and they're cheap. The only place I know where one can get them is Cabelas, $7.99 per 100. BTW I tend to use rather small hooks and 16lb tippett, I've caught stripers over 20# on size 6 in shallow water with considerable current.
Jon
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Mustad Hooks

I have found that Mustad 34007 1/0 hooks frequently open up when fighting small Tarpon. As a side note, I have never had any problems with the Mustad 3407DT hooks. All of my fishing is done in salty Caribbean water and a little extra care is need by washing the flies in fresh water when I arrive home.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Glad to see someone finally recommended the 34007 signature series hook in z steel . Great hook, stays sharp forever, nice micro barb and no bent hook issues, even on some pretty big Stripers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.