wader bare - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM

wader bare

hello i write from italy,i wont take the bare wader.you think is a good wader,icant try this because in italy there isn't.
tk to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Bare Blackwater Breathable Waders
this wader
Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I've never heard of them, and I've been fly fishing for a pretty long time. I'd stick with one of the better known brands like Orvis or Simms. If anything goes wrong, they have excellent warranty service.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I've never heard of them, and I've been fly fishing for a pretty long time. I'd stick with one of the better known brands like Orvis or Simms. If anything goes wrong, they have excellent warranty service.
First a disclaimer; I have never owned Bare waders or products so my comments about them are not from first hand knowledge.

Bare is a Canadian company that made its reputation in wetsuits for diving, windsurfing and triathlons; I do none of those. I think it is only later that they branched out into neoprene fishing waders and from what I have heard, I believe Bare is a well regarded name among fishermen in British Columbia and Alberta where people are crazy enough to fish in mid-winter. I think they were late into breathable waders though, and were never able to catch up in market share to the first movers like Simms, Patagonia and Orvis. I guess marketing hyperbole sells products and they don't match up to the big names in that respect. I have in the past seen their waders in shops in the Toronto area, and considered them but bought others.

I can't see how a person can name Orvis and Simms in the same breath though. My first pair of breathable waders was a pair Orvis Clearwater. They started leaking just after the warranty ran out. I liked the comfort so I bought a second pair but they also leaked and I never bothered with a warranty replacement. I was using them with a pair of Orvis boots that delaminated when they were almost new. Getting replacements under warranty is a nuisance so I repaired the felts myself. Then, one of the speed lacing eyelets popped out effectively rendering the boots unuseable. Off to the landfill. I had a pair of Orvis bootfoot hip waders that was replaced twice under warranty because the felts delaminated. I gave up and didn't bother with a third replacement. A warranty is only useful if a product is not junk in the first place - the paperwork, visits to the shop, time lost etc., make it a pain in the ass.

An Orvis field tester happened to be in camp at the same as me on a salmon fishing trip to New Brunswick five years ago. I mentioned my experiences to him and damned if his top of the line Orvis waders didn't spring a major leak the next day. From talking to him it seemed that it wasn't the first time that that had happened to him.

So, my conclusion then was that Orvis does not do waders well. Good quality control is a mindset that has to start at the top and permeate a company. Things might well have changed since then, but my purchasing decisions do not now include Orvis for anything and never will again; if their waders were that bad, how good can their, rods, reels, etc., be? Its the same people making the decisions.

I use Simms waders. They actually live up to their reputation as the best fitting waders available.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd
I can't see how a person can name Orvis and Simms in the same breath though. My first pair of breathable waders was a pair Orvis Clearwater. They started leaking just after the warranty ran out. I liked the comfort so I bought a second pair but they also leaked and I never bothered with a warranty replacement. I was using them with a pair of Orvis boots that delaminated when they were almost new. Getting replacements under warranty is a nuisance so I repaired the felts myself.
<snip>
I use Simms waders. They actually live up to their reputation as the best fitting waders available.
I mention them in the same breath because both are known for excellent warranty service. I don't see how you can knock Orvis warranty service. Myself and everybody I know that has ever dealt with them has been incredibly satisfied. Personally, I have a set of Orvis Silver Label waders that has seen 4 seasons of very rough use and has yet to spring a leak. I beat the heck out of them hiking through brush, wading in sharp rocks, and in general doing lots of things that should destroy them. You mention having problems with Clearwaters, which are Orvis' cheapest waders. Simms doesn't make a product that's anywhere near to the same price point. For that matter, they only make waders in the same price range as the 2 top of the line Orvis models.

I've heard a more than a few complaints about Orvis waders, but people who have problems are always more likely to speak up than happy customers. But I dont' recall ever hearing a complaint about any of the Orvis top of the line waders. I'd bet Orvis sells at least 100 times as many waders as Simms does, and based on what I've seen, most people are happy. I'd bet that the numbers could be more like 1000 times as many. I'd also bet that Orvis would have taken back your Clearwaters after the warranty was up and never said a word.

Personally, I don't have $300-400 to spend on a pair of waders, so Simms won't be getting my business any time soon. I got my Orvis waders for $75 off eBay! My point in mentioning both Orvis and Simms to the OP was simply because of the warranty service because the OP is located overseas where dealing with a company that might have poor warranty service could be a real pain.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

i bought the Kodiak Jacket and the Blackwater wader three years ago from a shop in Chilliwack. I liked them long before i bought them but had heard of problems with the seams around the crotch area. Bought em anyway. I paid $550($100 off) for the set and fished them both for steelhead on the Vedder, Chehalis and Thompson and on my Salmon waters here on the East Coast. First i have to say that they are probably the most comfortable wader i have yet to wear(haven't worn Simms). I finally developed a small, slow leak in the left foot on a trip to Margaree last fall so after i got home i used a back-up set while i shipped them off to the good Folks in B.C. A couple of follow up emails and phone conversions and my waders were on their way back to me. Brand new Blackwaters with tags were staring at me when i opened the parcel!!! Bare also included a wading belt and a new set of Gator guards. Outstanding customer service for this salmon chaser and service like that tends to keep me around.
As for who's are the best?? I tend to believe that for the money that we pay out they all suck!!! Any wader made today should only leak due to a tear or wearing out,,, period!!!
IMHO Bare waders are as good as any wader i have yet worn.
Salmon Chaser
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
thread killer

There it is!

"As for who's are the best?? I tend to believe that for the money that we pay out they all suck!!! Any wader made today should only leak due to a tear or wearing out,,, period!!!
IMHO Bare waders are as good as any wader i have yet worn."

Summed up nicely

One of my fishing pals has an older Bare Sharkskin wading jacket with ALOT of mileage on it. Still holding up great. Definitely a reputable company.

I'm disenchanted W/ breathables of all brands/levels. Sure I have some for the 'dog days' of summer, be nuts not to. Most of my fishing is in pretty cold water [and weather] so from mid September into May neoprenes work for me.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Difficult to add much to this thread, but I'm one of the old farts that has gone thru a lot of waders over the years, and have concluded that with exteneded usage, they all fail. I'm in waders about six months a year, almost daily, and have over time migrated to the company with the benchmark wader that has good or excellent customer service. That company is Simms. After six months of wear, I've got pin holes or neoprene booties that leak. They take care of it under warranty, or for a nominal fee. They've got to know me by name. Having said that, I have a backup pair when the primary ones leak.

My good Canadian friends really like Bare products, and they are one of the few companies that will make a tailor-made wader per your specs.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Difficult to add much to this thread, but I'm one of the old farts that has gone thru a lot of waders over the years
At first I accidentally transposed that as "a lot of farts in the ol' waders"... maybe it's because such muffled reports don't let you forget them and if you do forget they remind you at the end of the day or when you make a sudden deep wade

BARE was a huge brand when I lived in Seattle, and sworn by from many hardcore anglers I knew particularly their neoprene waders. OS Systems is another wetsuit maker with a BTW wader, tough as nails but not breathable. You can expect to get 10 years solid from an OS systems wader if you are a cold water wader (steelhead rivers etc).

I agree with Jim SIMMS.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-07-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I mention them in the same breath because both are known for excellent warranty service. I don't see how you can knock Orvis warranty service. Myself and everybody I know that has ever dealt with them has been incredibly satisfied. Personally, I have a set of Orvis Silver Label waders that has seen 4 seasons of very rough use and has yet to spring a leak. I beat the heck out of them hiking through brush, wading in sharp rocks, and in general doing lots of things that should destroy them. You mention having problems with Clearwaters, which are Orvis' cheapest waders. Simms doesn't make a product that's anywhere near to the same price point. For that matter, they only make waders in the same price range as the 2 top of the line Orvis models.

I've heard a more than a few complaints about Orvis waders, but people who have problems are always more likely to speak up than happy customers. But I dont' recall ever hearing a complaint about any of the Orvis top of the line waders. I'd bet Orvis sells at least 100 times as many waders as Simms does, and based on what I've seen, most people are happy. I'd bet that the numbers could be more like 1000 times as many. I'd also bet that Orvis would have taken back your Clearwaters after the warranty was up and never said a word.

Personally, I don't have $300-400 to spend on a pair of waders, so Simms won't be getting my business any time soon. I got my Orvis waders for $75 off eBay! My point in mentioning both Orvis and Simms to the OP was simply because of the warranty service because the OP is located overseas where dealing with a company that might have poor warranty service could be a real pain.
Hello Teflon,

My post was intended as an opinion about waders and not as a personal shot at anyone. Obviously, it was poorly written since it was misinterpreted - my apologies to you for that. By the way, I own a pair of Simms Freestone waders that I bought as a backup to my original Guide model. The Freestone has performed just as well as the Guide so I wear them all the time. Based on this experience, I venture to say that one does not necessarily have to spend top dollar to get reliability in a pair of waders.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 AM

tk to all
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 AM

tk to all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.