Sinking line on flats - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Sinking line on flats

Here's another question regarding the use(s) of a sinking line. I have been reading Richard Murphy's new book, which btw is a great read and has been enormously helpful. In it he writes about the use of sink tips on flats. He differs from other authors on this subject who advise the use of a floating or intermediate line. Rich's advice is based on the idea that it is critical in flats fishing that the line get to the bottom as quickly as possible lest it spook approaching stripers and on the way they forage. He reasons that intermediate lines takes too long to descend. I have been using intermediate line and have had some success out at Monomoy and on other flats. Of course my success could be based on the principle that my Dad often said regarding my other sport - golf, that "Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut"! Soooo...I am interested in hearing what you guys have to say....I want to thank all of those who taken the time to help the new guys. Your discussions on gear and tactics have been helpful and appreciated.

Steve M.

Steve M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.