I'm starting to think I wore my rod out! - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm starting to think I wore my rod out!

No wise cracks please!
Seriously, I've been struggling for awhile with what seems to be declining casting ability. It seems I have developed bad casting habits somehow and I actually cast more like a beginner now than when I was a beginner [a looong time ago]. Lack of distance, trailing loops, wind knots, casts that just pile up in a heap all make for frustrating effort.
Today it occured to me that maybe it's not all my fault. I throw a nine weight Sage which is over ten years old. I don't remember what model it is and the writting is faded on the blank. When I bought it, I was told that it would throw better if I went up a line size from the rating. That seemed to be true and I have always bought ten weight lines ever scince. For a long time that was fine. Then I started developing casting issues. I have mostly just limped along and lived with it. I got away with it because so much of my fishing is close range. A recent embarassing experience running & gunning tunoids from a boat brought it to the fore front however.
Anyway, today I was throwing a brand new line, a ten weight, and having some difficulties. I started thinking the rod was being overloaded which got me thinking maybe the rod is getting played out.
Is that possible? Do rods decline over time? anyone ever encounter this?
I know I do have casting issues I need to address but now I'm wondering if there's more to the story. Any opinions?
Also, can anyone refer me to a book or website that might give me some help with my casting problems?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.