spey fishing advice - Fly Fishing Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 AM

spey fishing advice

I was hoping someone can get me on the right track. I am building my first spey rod a med. fast 12'6" 7/8 weight and need some help learning how to get started. As I read there are just way to many line/head options. I plan on using the rod in medium sized rivers in water as deep as 6 feet. Can someone recomend a line a rookie could have some sucess with? I was thinking of starting with a floating line and then maybe make some heads for it with different grain wieghts. Also, referance materials, is there a good book or video that could get me started without overwelming me?
thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Both the best book and video are authored by the same person, Simon Gawesworth. He is also one of the gurus at Rio Products.

The latest video and his book are the way to go, and no he is a born teacher so you won't be overwhelmed.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Probably your best bet would be to find some way to try out line systems after your rod is complete.. maybe a dealer who has reels loaded with different lines.
Check Some of the dealers who sell a lot of spey equipment.

Otherwise a changeable head system might work.. you would have a running line and then could change out a skagit, scandi or custom made head that would be suitable for your rod and your casting preferences and would give you flexibility in differing conditions...winter, summer, etc.

Casting preferences usually come after you have had some casting experience with different rod and line combinations. Preferences are also determined by the kind of fishing circumstances you anticipate.. fishing deep, weighted flys, surface flys, size of river, etc.

Spey casting is simply more complicated than regular fly fishing because of the different approaches to casting and fishing conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.