Fly Fishing Forum banner

Whats the word - Sekiu and Neah Bay

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Leland Miyawaki 
#1 ·
Well it's time for me to start planning my PNW visits, should be work-related but not my weekends :)

Any word on the coho fishery for 2007? Expectations or regs to watch?

Maybe we can get a Sekiu or Neah Bay Clave together, always FUN.

#3 ·
With hope for the action farther south, a good friend of mine who lives on Prince of Whales Island tells me the early season action on feeding cohoes has been excellent. After last year's dismal runs, this may be a beakon of hope for the anglers in the Strait.

Cheers,

Eric

#4 ·
Seiku's expectant

of a really good year. High quota #s for Kings and Coho, and a pink year to boot. They guy @ Van Ripers we talked to in May said he's expecting the best returns in 10 years or so.

Then again, they're just projections. They way things have been in Neah and Seiku the past couple years, I'll believe it when I see it.

Brian

#5 ·
I'm coming out at some point Brian... since you and Leland couldn't make this STELLAR year on the striper coast I hope we can do the kicker boat derby. I haven't had fresh caught coho for a long time (nothing but farm raised here) so one for the grill will be in order.

#6 ·
Yep, I remember the last Silver you grilled up cause I got to eat some of it. :)

Remember scrounging for LemonPepper and the fixins in that little grocery store in Clallam Bay?? Good times - and we're certainly due for a good Silver year in Seiku!

We should be getting some early reports back from Neah Bay by early July. On another note, they've got a big quota to fill this year and the wild Coho are predicted to be strong enuf that a Catch & Keep Silver fishery is planned for September 16-30.

Kicker boat Clave sounds good to me!

Brian

#7 ·
Sounds encouraging...

Repoprt in the Local newspaper here in Port Angeles says there are already good sized Coho just off shore and Kings are hanging around the blue dot biting early and late(no suprise there)
Reports are from Salmon trollers working on there share of the quota. Just might have to have a look around very soon.

#8 ·
I'm jonesin for that familiar pre-dawn silence just before the masses awake to hit the strait. I am often sleepless the first morning drinking bad coffee from small styro cups on the slippery creaky dock looking out at the phenomenon we know as the pacific salmon run as the dim profile of Vancouver Island appears against the backlit sky and the crowds converge on the docks carrying fishnets and coolers and rods with dodgers clanging.

Who knows what lies ahead, each tide change is a new shift of biomass under the hull in those swirly restless 1000 foot deep cold watery canyon between the OP and BC. Flickering silver baitfish sheared by the commanding streaks of coho green backs in the rips.

The first years I did it I was literally the only person with a fly rod in sight out there in fact took quite a bit of ridicule until a hooknose came cartwheeling out of the water with the fat line in tow.

Then the first hooknose clave out there was with a edge-cutting crew - Bob, Tony, Stephen, etc. A pea soup fog rolled in and big hooknoses in the mid-teens came in tight to slip pt to feed on the surface and we literally sight cast to them. This was many years before the Forum, brought together by a mail list called Flyfish@ukyy.edu.

Yeah I am definitely coming out this year for this.

#11 ·
Thanks Tony,

I may be out frequently if your alma mater ever signs the contract. I will be watching the reports and will pull the trigger on a flight even if things dont go with UW.

I want to do some summer runs while there and a decent amount of time enjoying one of my favorite cities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.